Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd response from HR on work-pump request

Default Odd response from HR on work-pump request

Not sure what to make of this... any guesses?

I sent an email to our HR VP (female, mother) regarding pumping location when I return on Monday.

She responded that they would find me a secure location, but in the meantime I could use a bathroom that doesn't get much traffic (ech, but what can I do? I'm pretty disappointed I'm the only pumping mom in a building with 500 people, several of which have young babies)

Anyhow, I mentioned I'd love to have a table so I could use my laptop and get work done while I pump, and this is what she wrote:

"no laptop...really on this. Let's keep this activity to what it is for and let's not combine work with it."

Why do you think she responded this way? I'm totally perplexed??

Default Re: Odd response from HR on work-pump request

My guess, looking at it in a positive light, was that she didn't want you to be stressing about work stuff - she wants you to be able to focus on your baby during your pumping time.

Honestly, my first instinct is that she doesn't want you to potentially trash your laptop by spilling breastmilk on it.

Seems odd to me. I'm fortunate to have a private office. I set up my pump and keep on working. Usually it's computer work, email, doing reading but on occasion I've been on a conference call while pumping and nobody has said anything. My boss hasn't specifically asked if I'm pumping while working - but don't think she'd care and would be happy that I'm being more productive on the job.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I took it as (like PP) she wanted you to focus on your baby and getting milk in a peaceful manner...yeah for you on pumping at work!

Perhaps she wants you to view this time as your "break time" and not "work time" and therefore not expect to get "additional breaks"? That would be my best guess. You could always ask.

TM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

That is a weird response? I would just ask. It could go both ways it could have been nice and it could have been snotty.

Quote Originally Posted by mama419 View Post
    I took it as (like PP) she wanted you to focus on your baby and getting milk in a peaceful manner...yeah for you on pumping at work!
    Me too. I certainly don't want to be working while I pump. Take it as a break. Bring a book to read instead!

I was working while pumping for 6 months before my boss told me that I'd been 'taking personal time breaks for which I was being paid.' I tried to tell him that I'd been working while pumping, but he didn't want to hear it and said a woman in hr had told him, 'obviously I couldn't work and pump at the same time.' He said what I was doing was the equivalent of another employee taking the day to go grocery shopping for her family and getting paid for it.

They may want to avoid the appearance that you are getting paid for 'break time' even though you'd know you were working during that time, there's no way for them to confirm it. I recommend you get everything clear with hr and your supervisor, otherwise you may end up in my situation, whith your boss thinking you've been pulling one over on him/her even though you haven't.

BTW, since I've been using breaks to pump I have been bringing a book to read and it actually is much more pleasant.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I wonder if you are the only M pumping in your workplace?

Maybe some are doing it on their breaks and going out to their cars, or going elsewhere and/or have never officially told HR.

I never told HR. (But I think this depends on the employee and the workplace, etc.) I just told my immediate supervisor when I got back to work and now I go to my office and shut my door with a note on it that says "Do not disturb, call me at extension *** if you need assistance".

No one knew what I was doing until a new mom (also BF'ing) across the hall told someone who was going to knock on my door (very loudly) "She's pumping! Don't bother her!!"