Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: breastfeeding classes ??

Default Re: breastfeeding classes ??

check out your LOcal LLL meeting, its free...

The one at our hospital was useless. It was presented by a RN IBCLC but i didn't really find it that great. Plus when I had problems later she never got back to me.

TaraRenee is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Yeah, the reason I was asking is because really, I can't see too much use out of holding a doll to my chest. I can do that anywhere with any random object. I can see if I didn't do any research on the subject at all.. then it might be helpful. I've just been reading FOREVER about it so I think I'll do good. I have confidence in myself about it.

I had a fantastic BF'ing class - the LC who ran it was so realistic about the fact that breastfeeding is natural but not always easy, and she emphasized again and again that "normal" is a relative term. I also did a lot of research before hand, but I was really glad that I took the class as well. My advice would be to go ahead and take it - the worst that can happen is that the information is redundant, but you might learn something and get a lot of reinforcement as well!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

I agree, I went to a great BF class run by a LC I saw after LO was born. Class was great, more knowledge is always better. However, these forums and LLL are probably the best way to learn, plus it's free!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

My class was helpful. I only took one because I didnt really know anybody who breastfed, so I was really uneducated about it. I also had moved to a new state right before my son was born, so I had no family or friends to guide me. I did read some things in books, but I was determined to do it and the class did help me learn things about different positions and how to latch on. Without the class, I probably would have done formula in the hospital because I wouldnt have known what to do (the nurses werent helpful at all, luckily the LC was VERY kind and helpful)
    whoops that was a jumbled response. all in all, I would recommend it!!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I took the class and found it very helpful. It probably depends on where you go. I was VERY disappointed in the lactation consultants at the hospital so I was grateful that I had taken the class.

I LOVED my bf-ing class, it was taught by an IBCLC and was great. I didn't know anything about bf-ing and it really helped know what to expect. It was great that dh came too and he could really see how important his support was and that he had a big part in helping bf-ing to succeed. I would totally recommend one, but I guess a big part would be who taught the class. And maybe it wouldn't mean as much or help with someone who knows what to expect...

I took a breatfeeding class 1 month before Kayleigh was born and the nurse made it sound like only the first 2 weeks were the hardest. I did learn somethings but I was told babies are handed to the mom to nurse when the baby is an hour old but Kayleigh was given to me when when she was 2 hours old and in the sleepy state. She was also premature. It was helpful somewhat, I won't lie. Kayleigh didn't exactly go by the books, she had a really tiny mouth and it took us 7 weeks to get her to open wide enough. I think it is a good idea and also attend a LLL meeting as well. Nice to get a feel for how the hospital nurses assist you in starting to bf and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by Haley's Mama View Post
    As my mom says, "You can read about swimming, and you can watch other people swimming, but until you jump in the pool you have no idea!"
    If you can I woudl try and get to a LLL meeting before you deliver. The best thing these moms can do for you is hopefully give you an idea of how bf-ing friendly your hospital is, and help to give you the confidence to tell the nurses exactly what you want, examples: room in with babe, nursing immediately after birth, etc. Good luck!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...