Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: breastfeeding classes ??

TaraRenee is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default breastfeeding classes ??

Hi. This is my first post here. I'm pregnant with my first child (due next month) and I was wondering if anyone strongly recommends breastfeeding classes or do you feel you didn't really learn much during them? I've read a LOT about the subject as well as watched some videos on it. I also plan on getting one-on-one assistance after the baby is born so I'm thinking the class might not be necessary. Any thoughts??

Default Re: breastfeeding classes ??

I thought the BF classes were a waste of my time. I wasn't too happy with the nurses at the hospital though, as they were all giving me different advice.

Where I live a public health nurse (specializing in BF) visited me at my home at day 7, and helped me with the latch and answered additional questions/concerns that I had. I also went to see a LC at week 6, and that helped a lot.

I would recommend seeing a LC right after the birth to get the latch on correctly, and then maybe a week later, as you'll have TONS of questions after a week of "getting used to it'... I also recommend your partner helping/giving you support. My hubby helped with the latch and gave me water/food during the BF times...

Congrats and good luck!

I took the class b/c I was so determined to succeed. I did learn a lot in the classes, but had not done a ton of research otherwise, b/c I knew I would take the class.

I found it to be very helpful.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

At the time I took the class I thought it was helpful but as soon as I had DS I realized that not all newborns follow the "rules". I was expecting things to be so different (like I was told they would be in class) and when I had problems I thought it was my fault. Yes, take the class but consult other sources too. Get your support ahead of time. It's good that you have done your research. I wish I had done some reading on BF before DS came. I was so focussed on researching the birth! I naiivly thought BF would be easy and natural These boards have been a huge help to me and I have done plenty of reading since.....

Congratulations and know that we're here to help!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I found mine very helpful, the LC was great. I think it's a good idea even if you only take away one good piece of info. Congrats on your baby to be. This is also a great place to come for support.

I took a class from an IBCLC-certified lactation consultant. While it's impossible to cover everything, it did help me get started, and gave some powerful resources for why it's good to breastfeed. I benefited greatly from the class, but I agree that you should have other resources lined up as well.

LLL is a great resource both before and after your baby is born! While the leaders aren't typically IBCLC certified, they have lots of resources available and can refer you if necessary to the proper help. Not everyone needs to have an LC "on call". I found that after taking my class and doing my reading, I was lucky enough to not need any extra assistance with my singleton.

Good luck!

I didn't take a class, but I did a lot of reading and video-watching. Honestly, all that was good as far as gaining the head knowledge for bf'ing, but I found that it was a whole different ballgame when it came to actually doing it. As my mom says, "You can read about swimming, and you can watch other people swimming, but until you jump in the pool you have no idea!"

When I first tried to nurse Haley, the LC was on vacation, and the nurses were no help. They kept saying, "Well, you look like you know what you're doing." Yeah, I did, but I needed hands-on help. I went through two days of struggling before I found a nurse who was willing to help. I never thought I'd be so glad to have a stranger grab my boob and shove it in my baby's mouth! All this is to say that classes are probably helpful for head knowledge ahead of time, but I'd strongly recommend having hands-on help for your first tries at nursing. I think that's more important than any prep you can do.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I will add to ljgrile's post above that you are welcome to attend LLL meetings before your baby arrives. It is not the same thing as a "basics of breastfeeding" class like those offered at many hospitals, but a LLL meeting is a great place to find reliable information (from LLL Leaders and books for sale or in the Group library) and also to meet other new mothers who have recently been down the path you are about to walk.

One of the most important resources for soon-to-be breastfeeding mothers is simply knowing whom to call if you have a problem, and feeling comfortable about reaching out for that help. If you have met at least one local LLL Leader, you may feel more comfortable about calling her for help if you need it after giving birth.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Rebecca View Post
    One of the most important resources for soon-to-be breastfeeding mothers is simply knowing whom to call if you have a problem, and feeling comfortable about reaching out for that help.
    So true! My Bradley instructor is also the local LLL leader, so I was very comfortable with her by the time Haley was born. I was so grateful for her support, and I even called her at 2 a.m. one morning when I was having a bf'ing problem. Knowing that I could do that made me a lot more confident about sticking with the bf'ing. (We certainly got more than our money's worth from what we paid for our Bradley classes!)
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I ended up taking a bf class when DS was 1 week old. We had signed up for the class awhile back, and then DS came 3 weeks early. Even though at that point I was feeling pretty confident about nursing going well, I still learned things from the class and it was helpful to get positive reinforcement from the instructor. The instructor and the other couples taking the class also got a real kick from us bringing a real live baby to the bf class. Judging from the other responses so far, I'd guess the value depends alot on the quality of the class / instructor.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)