Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breastmilk or Formula for a preemie?? Please help!

Default Re: Breastmilk or Formula for a preemie?? Please help!

This is what the NICU had me do:

I started out with just pumping. They would give my LO the milk that I pumped in a bottle or a feeding tube (sometimes he was too tired even for the bottle). Then, we replaced one bottle feeding a day with actual nursing. Once he got better at nursing, we replaced another bottle feeding with it. The NICU also started fortifying my bottled breast milk with formula (if your LO doesn't like it, try switching formulas and see if he likes a different one better). Once I got him home, we were doing 3 fortified bottle feeds, and the rest was all nursing. After a week or so, I dropped a bottle, and another week after that, I dropped another bottle. We kept one bottle (but stopped fortifying it with the doc's okay when he was about 5 weeks old) simply so that my husband could enjoy feeding our son at bedtime.

So, basically, work up to exclusive nursing gradually. It will take time, and it will be frustrating, but you and your baby will get the hang of it. There's nothing better than breast milk for your preemie. Even just a little bit of it a day is beneficial. So, even if you do still end up switching to formula, I would highly recommend continuing to pump so that you can at least give your baby a little bit of what my husband likes to call "Momma Good Stuff."

Default Re: Breastmilk or Formula for a preemie?? Please help!

Babies need breastmilk. Period. If your baby needs supplements, you can always supplement with your own milk. If for some reason your baby needs more calories than he can get through your milk alone, you could consider skimming hindmilk off the top of your expressed milk. If your doctor wants an exact measure of your milk's calories, you could suggest a creamatocrit reading: http://www.medela.com/newfiles/Breas...tocrit%20.html

The best thing you can do to increase production is to pump at least as often as baby would nurse. If you only have a few minutes to pump, do it anyway! Shorter, more frequent sessions are better at building milk production levels than are longer, less frequent pumping sessions. If you need more help increasing your production, don't hesitate to ask for help!

Hand expression is your friend. It will help you get more milk for your efforts here's a handy video:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html