Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastmilk or Formula for a preemie?? Please help!

Default Breastmilk or Formula for a preemie?? Please help!

So here goes. My son Kayson was born 5-31-07 at 33 wks gest. I have a complete placenta abbruction. He had a rough start had to be on a ventalater for 4 days then O2. I was not alowed to put him to beast at all in the NICU. They bottlefeed his breast milk . He gained weight, and came home 3 weeks after his birth. Now that he is home he has not gained the required 1 oz a day. The doctors want me to stop breast feeding, and give him high cal. formula.. I would rather jump off a bridge then do that.
    We have mixed breastmilk with formula, and he hate it.. (I can't blame him it's smells awful!)
    He will only nurse with a sheild. I still try him with out it at each feeding.
    Should I stop nursing?
    Should I only pump, and give it to him that way?
    And how much should I be pumping out at a time?
    Thank you all so much

Default Re: Breastmilk or Formula for a preemie?? Please help!

NO! There is no need to stop bf'ing!! My boys were 6 weeks premature and they got EBM. What about asking them for a fortifier? We used that for a few days. Then we stopped that and they got regular BM. They are thriving on it, and doing well.

Check these links out:
    http://www.lpch.org/DiseaseHealthInf.../bresthub.html

http://www.parentingweb.com/lounge/premature.htm

Also, what I did was pump and then we did several "practice" sessions a day. We did lots of skin to skin contact, which really worked wonders. It was probably until their due date is when he really got the hang of it.

And if your pediatrican continues to be unsupportive, I'd find a new one. I had the same problems with my pedi and found a new one..
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02
    Ronin and Ryker 10/9/2006

I'd pump or shield-whichever you prefer, then give formula if you feel the need to help him gain weight. My dd was born at 36 weeks and we used a shield for a month, until she was gestationally full term, actually past it a bit.
    If He needs to gain weight, I'd nurse him with the sheild then give him 2-3 oz formula. That way you keep your supply up but help him gain weight. Once he is up to par you can stop supplementing. Also try nursing more frequently. Then he'll be getting more throughout the day.

Good luck

PS- I didn't give any formula except 1 day when she had jaundice and had to be under the lights-then I pumped and gave formula after the pumped milk. Now she is exculisvely breastfed.
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]

1st get some help:
    Call your local LLL leader
    Ask to see the Lc at the hospital!
    ARe you pumping any?
    So hes nursing with the sheild?
    How many times in 24 hours?
    How many wet diapars? What about poops.
    There are lots of things you can do to help with weight gain.
    you can pm me if you want to ask more.

What about using a supplemental nursing system while you latch and allowing baby to get more milk while your nurse with less effort? Ditto what Andrea said though. It is really important for you to have some help and support right now.

Hi, My DD was also born early. What the NICU did was wake her every 2 hours for me to nurse her. If she was too tired then I would pump and syringe feed her. After we got home I did the same. After a while she had no problem eating enough. It was really hard for a bit, but it does get easier. Sometimes I think that they have an unrealistic goal for premature infants.

Don't stop nursing!!! Your milk is far superior to any formula or fortifier. It is especially important for a preemie. The composition of your milk is actually enhanced when you give birth prematurely. I know this is difficult but it sounds like you are doing a great job.. If you have any questions please post here or pm me. I have been down this road twice with preemies and maybe I can give you some insight.

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMama View Post
    The composition of your milk is actually enhanced when you give birth prematurely.
    Isn't that amazing?

Breast milk is amazing. "The milk of a mother who gives birth prematurely is different from milk expressed after a full term birth. It contains higher concentration of nitrogen, sodium, chloride magnesium and iron- substances that preemies need more of" The essential Guide to preemies It is also richer in infection fighting components.

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

I was in the same boat a few years ago with my son who was 7 week early. I was so tired after waking him up to feed on the breast, topping him off with bm, and then pumping to keep up my own supply. I was so sleep deprived that I could not function--although I survived and just had #2 full-term. The best advice I got was from a lactation consultant who patted me on the back and told me that all moms like me felt the same way. My preemie ended up with acid reflux (common among preemies) so the bm made that problem SO much easier.

I would stick to bm as long as you can. Mine never breastfed but he got bm that I pumped eventhoough I felt like a cow. Preemies have immature guts and bm is the easiest to digest. I know what you are feeling--stick with it for as long as you can and don't blame yourself if it doesn't turn out like the textbook says.