Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to pumping

Question New to pumping

I have tried to pump several times and only seem to be able to get about an ounce (at best) regardless of the time of day. After the initial let down the milk just stops coming even after pumping for a few minutes. What am I doing wrong? ( I have a 4wk old).

Default Re: New to pumping

Remember that pumping is a learned art. Give yourself lots of time and practice. Other things to note are 1) the pump is not efficient as baby and 2)you'll yield less expressed milk when pumping *in addition to* feedings vs *in place of* feedings.

Take those one ounce bottles and combine them into 2-3 ounce increments. That's all that most bfed babies take at a time, anyway. This means less waste when it comes time to feed baby!

That's how it was for me too initially. But they are right, it is all about getting used to the pump and expressing - I felt real silly at first sitting there with this hand held gadget attached to by breast and I guess that also affected the whole process. It takes alot of practice and patience. As for the volume, I thought it was going to be ridiculous pumping an oz each time but the amount has actually increased over the weeks. I now pump in the morning after baby has finished with her feed. She usually feeds on one b in the morning and falls asleep so I express from the other and now can get almost 2 oz.

tash

As weird as it may sound/feel, I have found that once I notice no more milk coming out, I massage/squeeze and more will come out... Oh, the things we will do to provide for our babies!