Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LOTS of confusion!!

Default LOTS of confusion!!

My LO had problems with gagging, vomitting, and gassiness. One of my friends suggested I eliminate dairy from my diet, so I tried it and saw a great improvement. All of her symptoms, even things I hadn't connected with it, have gotten much better. Of course she took a bottle like a champ in the hospital, but as the gagging and vomitting got worse it became much more of a hassle to give her one so I stopped trying. Her new doctor sent me to an occupational therapist to evaluate her latch, and apparently it's uncoordinated now. She doesn't pull the nipple into her mouth far enough (probably because if she did she would gag!), and so she only eats for a short time to keep herself full. The OT advised me to try and stretch out her feedings so she would be a little more hungry, my breasts would be more full, and it would be easier for her to eat more at one sitting. She wants to avoid my LO constantly eating to get enough in little bursts as she gets bigger and needs more food. I am on my third day of stretching out her feedings and it seems to be helping. LO starts out in a bassinette, but after about 4 hours she comes in bed with me and ends up permanently latched for the rest of the night. I have also made a concious effort to detach her during the night. I am waking up very full in the mornings again, so I guess this is working.

Has anyone else been through this?

Default Re: LOTS of confusion!!

Ahven't been through it but had a thought-
    Do you have overactive letdown (OALD) Maybe she is getting too much at once and it is choking her. If her latch isn't good, you can try the nipple sheild. That is what I used with my preemie for about a month and it helped tremedously! She was able to eat well and eventually came off it when she about full term and was able to latch better.
    Try looking on kellymom.com for OALD

Good luck!
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]

Oh I definately have OALD, but she's gotten used to it and hardly chokes anymore. I tried the nipple sheild in the NICU...do you think that would help her bring the nipple further back into her mouth? It's worth a try She is nursing effectively despite her shallow latch, I think in part because of the OALD she doesn't have to pull the nipple very far into her mouth to get a lot. It's like, since the gagging, she FORGOT how to suck on a bottle or finger...weird.

Dyl did that for a while.As he got bigger, he eventually was able to get a better latch.
    Babies like short feeding spaces though.I wont take Dyls away...