Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding only from one breast

Question breastfeeding only from one breast

new to forum, i have a question about breastfeeding only from one breast is it a problem. I was doing ok until my baby was 3 1/2 months old, i started producing less milk from my left breast and my baby would not latch as much as in the right (can i blame the surgery that i had 5yrs ago). . Time went on and i just stop the feeding from the left side. so now he only feeds from my right breast. Is that a problem, can it be harmful in the future for me.My baby is now 5 1//2 months old and fully breastfed and weights 19lbs. i believe i'm doing a good job but i just have that concern about breastfeeding from one side . can anyone help me ...

Default Re: breastfeeding only from one breast

If he's gaining weight and having enough wet & dirty diapers, you're good to go. It's been done before.

thanx alot Dryad

Yep, think of women with twins! It averages out to one breast per baby

I had slower let down on one side so my DD always preferred one over the other depending on mood. I was a bit lopsided for a while, but fine overall I can't tell if you've stopped feeding on the one side totally, but if this is a concern you can use a pump on the other breast.

I know someone who does this and her only problem is lopsidedness!

Yes, your baby should be fine nursing from just one breast. I know of women who have done so. The lopsidedness will go when you stop nursing.
    Lots of babies display a preference for one breast because we aren't totally symmetrical.