Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottled Breast Milk vs. Breast Milk

Default Bottled Breast Milk vs. Breast Milk

Just curious...

Is the only difference between feeding breast milk from the bottle and feeding straight from the source that you are forming a strong bond of love and affection with the latter?

Does breast milk lose any nutrients or vitamins once bottled up?

I hope to be able to breastfeed without using any bottles--or is that not always possible?

Default Re: Bottled Breast Milk vs. Breast Milk

Maybe someone else will chime in with more information. I was always under the impression that getting your LO the milk right from the source is the best way to go (nutritionally speaking). I know that I've read that freezing milk breaks down some of the protective properties of the milk, as does refrigerating and then reheating. And it is possible to exclusively breast feed without using a bottle- you just need to be with your baby all of the time! If you need to go back to work or would like to run an errand without baby, it's good to have them used to a bottle!

sure you can breastfeed with out using bottles if you want.
    You don't even have to own any!
    Some babies go strait to a cup when they get older.
    Do you have any fears or ?'s about nursing we can answer?

I don't know how far away from this situation I am, but it makes me really nervous to think that I will be the sole provider of nutrients for such a small, dependent little being.

I don't oppose formula milk but I'd rather provide it myself if I can.

I've always had digestive problems, low weight problems (but no food allergies), and am worried that this may affect my future breastfeeding plans.

I guess I don't have any questions yet, just general worries that are being soothed by mentioning them to all of you

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    sure you can breastfeed with out using bottles if you want.
    You don't even have to own any!
    Some babies go strait to a cup when they get older.
    Do you have any fears or ?'s about nursing we can answer?
    Last edited by notamommy; July 6th, 2007 at 10:18 AM.

Having twins, I tried to nurse them both and I found it very draining and stressful. Therefore, I have been pumping for them since they were born. I do feel you can bottle feed and still develop strong affection and love with your baby. Nursing is special and if it would've worked, I would've done it. I love my children so much and I don't think they know any differently if I had nursed them instead. Try nursing first and eventually your baby can drink expressed milk as well.
    You will be a good mother.

First of all, good luck in your efforts to have a baby Breast milk is good for them either way, but I'm sure it's hard to beat straight from the source But as someone who uses bottles too (and we've not had any problems), I want to say that bonding is not limited to feeding at the breast; it's the physical closeness and the time and the snuggling...you get the idea

The bonding happens because it's your baby, not just because you're nursing. Feeding, whether it's with a bottle or from the breast, is a nurturing thing, and for me, the bonding is not just because we're nursing; it's because he's my son.

My youngest never was much of a bottle drinker. He never had any formula, as he hated the taste, but he also never got the hang of drinking out of a bottle. While it was an adjustment to have to be with him almost all the time, it's a relatively short period of time in the grand scheme of things, and I was glad to do it. After he was about 5 months old, I just quit trying to give him any bottles. I think he had like 5 in his whole short life. When it was time to wean, he went straight to a cup.

Hi all,

It wasn't my intention to say that love, affection and bonding don't occur unless you breastfeed. I meant to ask if there was any difference between the two choices for giving your baby breastmilk.

Of course you love your child regardless

Thank you for the responses--all were helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by notamommy View Post
    Just curious...

Is the only difference between feeding breast milk from the bottle and feeding straight from the source that you are forming a strong bond of love and affection with the latter?

Does breast milk lose any nutrients or vitamins once bottled up?

I hope to be able to breastfeed without using any bottles--or is that not always possible?