Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spit up and choking

Default Spit up and choking

I am a first time mom. my baby was tiny at birth (5lbs 10oz) though only 3 days early. He is very healthy just small. At the hospital we had a small scare of him choking on amniotic fluid that was burped up and now i am a nervous wreck. That specific symptom has gone away, but i have had an incidence of him sucking back on his tongue when crying too much a(he hates diaper changes) and then looking as if he is choking. He has also been burping A LOT. i burp him after feedings but will get many more burps later. I watch him during the day but sometimes he begins to gurgle and wheeze with a spit up and i am afaid to sleep when he is sleeping and the evenings i am constantly checking on him. I am only on day 3 and so sleep deprived! Last night I tried to sleep, but after a feeding and a good burp, i laid him down (mor on side with recieving blankets on each side, like they do in the hospital). I heard him suck in a couple of times with the gurgle noise and so i jumped up. He spit up a bunch of yellow liquid... i'm assumping the colustrum milk mix he's getting now. i made sure the milk went to the side and he didn't choke on it. then he spit up a bunch more projectle like. He had only fed for 15 minutes at both previous feedings(couldn't keep him awake for anything) I'm so paranoid that if i don't watch him, he will choke. they say not to lay him on his stomach for SIDS and to wait on pacifiers or bottles until after 3weeks when he is latching well, but could some of this help?? I have also had to use the breast shield because of latching, but have tried to use them less now that my milk is in hoping he will latch for the milk. He has done pretty well, though his mouth is tiny and I'm sure he truly needs to be taking a bigger bite. Can the shields be causing all the burping?? Help, i need sleep and piece of mind that he will be ok.

Default Re: Spit up and choking

Oh, poor mama! I know just how you feel. When Haley was first born she was coughing up a lot of excess mucous from her belly, and she would choke and sputter. She also spit up a ton, still does sometimes. I will tell you this: She's much better at coping with the coughing than I thought she would be. Babies are often more resilient than we think! She has never really choked or been in any danger, but it IS scary to see her coughing, even 10 weeks later when I'm used to it.

Of course, you know the official recommendation is to put babies on their backs to sleep, or on their sides if absolutely necessary. I am one mama, however, who puts her baby tummy down. I think you will find there are others who do the same. Because of all the spitting up and because Haley just wouldn't sleep on her back, we made the decision to let her sleep on her tummy. We co-sleep with a bassinet right beside the bed, and we are always close by when she is sleeping. I was told by a trusted source that a lot of the SIDS data is based on babies who sleep alone in a crib in a separate room from mom (babies learn breathing and waking patterns from being near mom and dad). Since our baby sleeps right beside us, and since we have no other risk factors, we chose to take the chance and help her get some good sleep.

Ultimately, the tummy-sleeping thing is just a decision you're going to have to make after considering the possibilities. You will find that parenthood is all about having to make choices based on what you think is best for YOU and YOUR BABY, even if that means going against the advice of a friend or relative or whoever. Sometimes there's lots of worry and guilty associated with those choices, but know that you can trust your instincts.

As for the burping, it is possible that your LO is getting extra air with the shield. (Hard crying can cause them to gulp in air, too. As you learn more about what soothing techniques work for your LO, you'll be able to prevent him from full-blast crying more, although sometimes babies just need to let it out!) I'd say start trying to get him directly on the breast more and more. As his mouth gets bigger, it will get easier for him to latch on. In the meantime, just make sure you are getting him to open wide (gentle pressure on his chin can help) and smooshing the boob right into his mouth before he has the chance to close it. The better seal he has, the less air he'll gulp.

Pacifiers can sometimes help with spit up, in that extra swallowing helps the stomach muscles contract and keep the milk down, but sometimes they can cause baby to gulp more air, causing more burping and more spitting up. It's also a good idea to wait on the pacis until 4-6 weeks, when bf'ing is more established, so as not to confuse baby. You could try giving your LO your pinky finger (nail side down on his tongue so you don't cut the roof of his mouth) as a substitute; it is a more "natural" fit than the paci nipple. That being said, Haley is a major comfort sucker, and I started her on the paci at 3 weeks out of desperation. I didn't give it to her often, but it did the trick when the human paci was wearing out (she didn't really like to suck on my pinkie finger).

He could also just be an urpy baby. Have you been paying attention to what you eat? I know that Haley spits up a lot more when I've had too much dairy or fast-food type things (which makes me gassy and gross, too, so I hardly ever eat it anyway!). If you think it might be a certain food, try cutting it out for a couple weeks and see if you notice a change. Then reintroduce the food and see if the problem starts up again. (It can take 2-3 weeks after cutting out a food to notice the difference.)

Also, if you want to keep your LO close during the day, try babywearing. Get a sling or wrap if you don't already have one and wear your little guy while you shop or work around the house. He'll nap in the carrier (number-one baby calmer and sleep inducer in my book!) and you'll have him near in case he needs you. Hopefully then you'll worry less and be able to rest better. You can also try nursing him lying down so you can be resting as well.

I know I've given you a lot of info here, so sorry for the long post! Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the birth of your LO! I hope you'll find a happy home here, and please feel free to stop in with whatever questions you have. The ladies here are awesome!

ETA: Forgot to say this: I will get better. It's tough when you're just starting out. Hormones are crazy and you're just getting to know your LO and what he needs and how you can meet those needs. I was an emotional wreck for about 4 weeks and then slowly started to feel better and better. Over time you will get more confident as you learn how to do the mama thing. You'll also get less worried about the coughing and other baby noises, because you'll learn which ones to take seriously and which ones are ok. I used to wake up at every single peep from Haley because I didn't know what the sounds meant. Now I know which sounds mean "feed me" and which ones mean "pick me up" and which ones are just baby noises. Last night she shrieked in her sleep and then went right back to sleep. They're noisy little critters! But hang in there, mama. You're doing great, and it will get easier and easier. I promise!
    Last edited by Pajama Mama; July 6th, 2007 at 06:44 AM.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Sorry, thought of one more thing: Does the burping and spitting up seem to bother your LO? Does he seem uncomfortable or cry when he does it? If so, you might want to ask your ped. about the possibility of reflux. Now, when Haley spits, she just kinda lets it all come out and goes back to what she was doing, so it's obviously not bothering her! You can always talk to your doctor if you're worried about this.

I'm sort of having the same problem, only my son was 10 pounds at birth. He's a gulper terribly at feed times and in the last couple of days (he's 13 days old) has started choking and spitting up during feedings. It's scary to me, but he doesn't seem to mind too terribly much, except to get a touch fussy afterwards. We've tried feeding him upright, pulling him off when he starts to gulp, but he still chokes at least once during feedings.

I, too, am a first time mom and talking to my mother and MIL, they say this is normal. I'm using a shield too, because of flat nipples and I wonder if they are the culprit more and more. I'm afraid that if it continues, I'll have to start pumping and bottle feeding him, because frankly, I can't handle it. We have a pediatrician appointment today so I'm going to go over this with her, but I wanted to see what ideas you guys had.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtari View Post
    He's a gulper terribly at feed times and in the last couple of days (he's 13 days old) has started choking and spitting up during feedings.
    Check out kellymom.com. It's possible he's gulping because you have OALD/OS. (I do.) There are great tips on working with that and helping to regulate your supply.

I'm using a shield too, because of flat nipples and I wonder if they are the culprit more and more.
    I dealt with flat nipples too but only used the shield a few times. Have you tried pumping just a bit before you nurse? This can help draw out the nipple. You can also make a "sandwich" by squishing the breast to make it go further into baby's mouth. (Others can probably explain this better than me.) After working with her for a couple weeks, Haley was able to draw out the nipple all by herself, and now we have no troubles at all (and the nipples aren't as flat as they used to be!). Keep at it. It will come with time.

I agree w/ Haley's mom- ask your pedi about possibility of reflux if your LO is having fussiness along with the spitting up. The burping thing will get better- probably a combo of just learning to nurse and swallowing lots of air + crying. It should get better around 6-8 weeks once he has BF'ing down.

I never used a nipple shield, so I don't know if that makes burping worse. Lots of people here have so they will give you good advice if that makes extra burps for baby.

The wheezing/gurgling sound you hear could be saliva pooling in the back of his mouth, that too should stop in a few weeks. I agree to not use bottles/paci's until you have the BF'ing down which it sounds like you do.

My LO sleeps on his side or stomach, he never liked sleeping on his back so we never forced it. I also co-sleep so I always know what's going on with him during the night.

If you're tired really think of co-sleeping and if that doesn't work for you try and get as many naps as possible when your baby is napping. Take good care of yourself and sounds like you are on the road to a beautiful BF'ing relationship!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My little one occasionally chokes when we feed her. At first it panicked me, and it still concerns me when it happens, but we just take the bottle out, sit her up and let her do her coughing. It generally doesn't seem to bother her. In fact, she usually has this vague expression on her face, almost like "Hey ma, why'd you take the bottle out of my mouth!?"

In the beginning I barely slept either, I kept worrying I'd wake up to a non-breathing baby. I'd get up and check she was breathing (I still do from time to time) and all sorts of things. I was a wreck. But after watching and listening to her for a while (and passing out from sheer exhaustion and having her still be alive) I've learned to sleep and not worry so much.

Hang in there. It will get easier. The first few days and week / weeks are miserable! But six weeks later, we're doing well.

My lo will choke as well when feeding and he gulps very quickly. He was 5 lbs 7 oz when born (now 9lbs 7 oz). I just sit him up and let him get it out and he goes back to feeding. I don't use a shield, so don't know much about that.

The first few days I didn't get any sleep either because I would wake to every noise and there are a lot of them. That does get easier. We are 4 weeks and my lo grunts a lot when sleeping and I have learned to kind of block that out and just fully wake when he starts to root around and cry a little. You will figure out what sounds mean business and which ones are just sounds.
    It will get better, hang in there.

Oh, thank you all so much for your answers. It has definitely calmed some of my anxiety. Of course, i will probably still have a bit of difficulty sleeping until I learn it all, but today i did take time to just allow Rylen to work out a lot of the fears i had and seeing him work it out in the daytime while i was right there did show me that he is really a trooper and more apt to deal with the situations than i was giving him credit for. He never really got upset about the spit up, i was just being a mom. The only "wierd" thing he does is something that looks like he is sucking on his tongue and i could never figure out if that is what he was doing or if he was choking. In the hospital he did have issues with the amniotic fluid and choking on it... it looked very similar except he started turning colors that day, but that is no longer an issue. I watched him a few times today and when he looked like that was what he was doing I just watched him and he would stop after a few and burp. I also saw our pedi for the first time today and he was very reassuring that babies are pretty apt to cope with these things. This forum has really been a help! Thank you all so much. Hopefully tonight I'll get a bit more sleep. Time will calm these particular anxieties I'm sure... and more will creep up. I'm going to be a mom for the long haul!