Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this OK?

Default Is this OK?

My son will be three weeks old on Tuesday. I will feed him every two to three hours throughout the day and at night time I try to not let go more than five hours between a feeding. This is usually no problem because he will wake up before or right at five hours. The night before last he went six hours and last night he went seven hours. I read in the book " What to Expect the First Year" that letting him go more than five hours could cause problems with my milk supply. Is it still too early to let him sleep so long? If so, at what age would it be OK to let him go over five hours between feedings?

I am worried because I had major problems with milk supply with my first son and I had to supplement with formula when he was two months old (which only made my supply worse). My breasts are barely a B cup when I am breastfeeding so oversupply is definately not an issue. I would really like to be successfull this time, I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thank you,
    Sherrie

Default Re: Is this OK?

Is he back up to birth weight? I think the general rule of thumb is that as long as baby is back to birth weight and continuing to gain well, it's ok to let him sleep as long as he wants at night. If you're nursing him on demand throughout the day, it should be enough to keep your supply where it needs to be. In fact, your supply will eventually regulate so that you have just what you need at different times of day. Haley sleeps 6-7 hours for her first night stretch, and I used to get overly full. Now I have just the right amount for nighttime and still have plenty of supply during the day when she wants to nurse more often. As long as everything's working the way it's supposed to, your supply should regulate based on your baby's needs. I say enjoy the extra sleep!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I agree with Gretchen. If your son is nursing 2-3 hours during the day, and has several wet & dirty diapers, then it should be okay. I have read that newborns should be eating at least every 4 hours at night, but like PP said, if he is gaining well, and eating well during the day, everything should be fine. during the first year, especially during milestones, he may sleep through the night one week, adn be up 5 times the next week! Good luck, definately enjoy the sleep!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Thanks for the reasurrance (sp?) ladies. I just really want to be successfull this time. I don't know how is weight is doing since I haven't seen his pediatrician since we left the hospital on June 22, I am going this morning for his first well visit. The office is extremely busy so it is hard to get in an appointment. He seems to be doing very well so far, he has tons of wet and soiled diapers and he actually gained a 1/2 an ounce his third day in the hospital so I know I got off to a good start. I think that not being to the pediatrician yet is just stressing me out. I just want to make sure he is OK.

Thanks again,
    Sherrie

It sounds like you're doing great!

I know what you mean. I couldn't wait for our 2 mo. appt. I knew she was growing and gaining, but I just really wanted the numbers to prove it!

Let us know how it goes.

I would really suggest you find a different resource for bfing info. What to Expect is very mainstream and contains info that can lead to early weaning (and cause other problems). LLL had a lot of great books on their book list. One good comprehensive book about babies and breastfeeding is the Sears Baby Book.

Wow, I-Mans Momma, I had no idea. Maybe that is why I had to supplement so early with my first son. Just reading some of the posts on here have helped me out a lot fortunately. I wish I would have known about this site last time. I will have to go find the Sears Baby Book though, I'd like to get as much information as possible.

I do have good news though, I just got back from the pediatrician's office and little Devon is at 8 lbs! That is nearly one pound up from his birth weight of 7 lb, 1oz. The pediatrician said he looked great. I feel so much better. I can't believe how stressed out I get when I don't have anyone to tell me that my baby is ok.

Thanks so much ladies for helping me calm down, right now it is time for me to get the milk bags out again. I can't wait for these constant feedings to subside.

Sherrie

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie1984 View Post
    I will have to go find the Sears Baby Book though, I'd like to get as much information as possible.
    I second this advice. This is my favorite of all the books I've read.

I do have good news though, I just got back from the pediatrician's office and little Devon is at 8 lbs! That is nearly one pound up from his birth weight of 7 lb, 1oz. The pediatrician said he looked great. I feel so much better. I can't believe how stressed out I get when I don't have anyone to tell me that my baby is ok.
    Yay!

I can't wait for these constant feedings to subside.
    I hear ya! Haley has been eating non-stop today.

I remember when gabe started sleeping for more then 2 hours... I would have to get up to pump just a little because I would be overfull - and would soak the bed.

Now I am regulated - I make more milk when he is hungriest in the evening - that is the only time of day my breasts feel full - well after his 5-7 hour sleep stretch too

And I used to think Id idnt have enough milk!

Baby should be fed on cue day or night Feeding schedules are what will really contribue to low milk supply. Since he's 3 weeks old and has passed his birth weight, you can let him sleep as long as he likes at night as long as he is showing all the signs of getting enough to eat.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!