Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I get the pumping process started?

Default How do I get the pumping process started?

I just got a breast pump today and am going to start pumping my breastmilk, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the process started without having my baby miss a feeding.
    What dost thou do?!

Momma B

Default Re: How do I get the pumping process started?

I had the same issue. Baby was always eating so I didn't know when to pump.
    How old is your baby? Can u start pumping at night when u know the baby will be sleeping at least 2 hours? Now I pump at 4 am in the morning to build a stash. This is when I know for sure she won't wake up till 6:30-7am. Hopefully some moms can have better advice. Also visit the pumping threads. You may find something there.
    Eliz

I also pump at 4 am when I know the baby won't be up till about 7. Try to fit it in between meals - about 1.5 hours after you nursed. How often does your baby eat? If you can count on every 3 hours, then you can def try between, even if you won't get too much at first. Don't get discouraged. Also, make sure you stay at the pump long enough - I didn't and was very sad that i couldn't get anything at first! Good luck.

I just went from almost exclusively pumping to exclusively breastfeeding, but since I am going back to work soon I need to keep up my supply. What has worked for me is pumping in the morning right after I feed her and then after her last feeding of the day before I go to bed. I have a bit of an oversupply so it works for me.

Right after the first feeding in the morning is what worked for me also. That is how I got a freezer stash saved up before going back to work!

I try to pump in the morning after my LO has fed, and any other times he's in a long nap and I am awake. Some days I have no opportunity to pump, other days I seem to get 3 or 4....my LO is 4 weeks old.

I am just now starting to net about 5 oz per session, for the past 3 weeks I was only getting about 1.5 - 2 per session...so just keep it up!
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

I pumped after every feeding in the beginning. Just picked up whatever he left. Then once I had a whole bottle full I would pump everytime he took a bottle as well. I had ALOT of milk though, so this was not an issue for me. Not sure if pumping after will create an imbalance but my son didnt seem to be too bothered by it. Then as others have said, once he started sleeping more at night I could pump then.

hi there
    i totally relate--pumping feels like biophysics. what helped me (i don't know how old your lo is?) is pumping on one side while lo eats on the other. that way you know you get the let down and lo is still eating. it will perk up your supply too. you could also pump two hours after a feeding (even one) or if lo is sleeping long stretches at night then after the last nite feed.
    hope this helps--what kind of pump?

I pump, supplement and bf...what I do is pump when I`m at work (every 2-3 hrs) and at home I pump if my lo did not drain my breasts well...I have always had low supply issues and this helps keep what I have.