Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to stop pulling?

Default how to stop pulling?

Bianca and I have been nursing for a year and it's been pretty smooth since two months pp but now she pulls back when she is feeding. I have tried to gently say no and take her off when she does it (this worked when she tried biting), placing my arm behind her head (but she just pulls harder), distracting her with a nursing necklace/singing etc (this worked when she decided to play with my nipples while nursing), and changing positions but nothing seems to help. She doesn't do it all the time but it is getting more common and it is making my nipples really sore. I have loved nursing but it is becoming unpleasant - any suggestions?

Default Re: how to stop pulling?

the nursing necklace usually works. i wore a plastic hawaiian lei when DD did that to me. seemed to work. in the meanwhile, try a baby-safe breast balm. gerber makes a good one, and it works.

Keep trying the things you listed. What you're describing sounds frustrating and uncomfortable as you mentioned. Have your arm dedicated and available to brace the back of her head if she tries to pull away.

So many things are going on in that growing head of hers. She wants more freedom and flexibility. Teeth coming in and moving around. There continue to be more and more things she wants to do. One minute she'll want milk - then to read a book - the next second it's to go outside - no, wait lets have more milk...on and on....

She could also be experimenting with getting the milk out faster or slower. Notice what's going on when she pulls. Had you milk already let down. Has she been nursing for a little bit and maybe the flow has slowed down but she wants it to come faster. Maybe if you unlatch her put her back on the other side?

Hang in there...

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2780 View Post
    She could also be experimenting with getting the milk out faster or slower. Notice what's going on when she pulls. Had you milk already let down. Has she been nursing for a little bit and maybe the flow has slowed down but she wants it to come faster. Maybe if you unlatch her put her back on the other side?

Hang in there...

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

DS 11 onths does this too! I didn't know other babys did this too. It is a pain!

I have no advice, only sympathy. My daughter does this too.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

My 14 month old daughter loves to nurse and I love nursing her. But now I don’t like it as much as I do be for. Is this wrong for me to fill this way? She is pulling a way and biting at times she makes me bleed my nipples are sooooo red and they really sore. I till her in a nice way ok if you’re going to bit you will be done. The when I put them a way she will cry in till I give them back to her. I have thought about stopping her from breastfeeding but when I think about it I just fill like a bad parent. Can you help me out?
    Think
    you

Savanah 5-1-06

hello happymomof5

I don't think feelings are ever 'wrong' and being honest about how you feel is always good. I often feel the same way, before Bianca started pulling I though I would happily nurse for as long as she wanted to but now when she is being especailly rough I look forward to when she weans. Compared to you I am actually lucky, Bianca only tried to bite twice and I took her off each time and would not feed her until the time her next feeding would usually be - she seemed to get the point and has not tried to bite in months. The pulling is a different matter, I tried to take her off when ever she pulled but unlike biting, which she only tried a few times, she almost always pulls. Also the few times she bit it was near the end of her feeding anyway and I did not feel bad about cutting it a bit short but she tries to pull right from the first and I don't want her to go hungry/thirsty. The only suggestion I can give is from a friend who stopped her baby's biting by spacing out feedings a bit longer - she said her little one was a bit more hungry then usual and got right down to the business of eating instead of playing. This did not work for Bianca and pulling but maybe it will help you?

Hope things get better for you soon

Hello Mamaliz
    Thank you for the tip I will have to try it out. I will let you know if it works or not.
    I glad I’m not the only one that fills this way. Thank you for your help.