Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried CIO and it work?

TM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Has anyone tried CIO and it work?

Yes, I'm a wedding coordinator and I will be doing most of the work from home during day. Then when she falls asleep at night I can go out to fabric stores ect. I will just need her nap hours to work because I would rather spend her awake hours bonding and stimulating her than spending it attached while she is sleeping. I will not have any help during the day until my wedding season, in a couple of months. So I need at least 3 hours of work time per day.She wakes at 6:30 am and goes to bed between 5:30 and 7:00pm. Current naps are. 8:00- 8:40, 11:00-12:00, and sometimes a nap around 3 or 4. I just wanted to give you more info. Thanks for the suggestions.

My LO is almost 3 months so he's behind your guy and I don't know if that makes a huge difference. My baby does the same thing and we cosleep as well. He won't sleep without me!!! There are a few things I've tried and they seem to work. My LO does great in his swing, he's slept up to 4 hours in that thing!!! Also, I have tried laying down with him and pretending that I'm going to sleep too. I go through the motions and when he's out I get up really quietly turn on the baby monitor and close the door. There's only two problems with this method, you have to be really quiet and DO NOT come back into the room while he's sleeping. I've found that even if I'm quiet, if I come back in the room he wakes up (I still can't figure that one out!). Also, I EP and often will lay my baby down to sleep (not in my arms, but on the bed) and led him snack on a bottle until he's out. Does your little one wake when you move him? Maybe nursing laying down so you don't have to move him would work? This is what's worked for me, hope it helps a little!

Btw, as far as CIO thing goes, I know it's a really touchy subject, but the last thing we women need to do is beat each other up over it!!!

Good luck! Let us know how things go!

It's sad because I actually have to put her in bed competely naked because she will chew on her jammies and choke. No joke. She has actually pulled her onesies of twice and chocked. So when I'm not co-sleeping she has to be naked. I caught her today trying to take off her diaper, litlle snot What will I do when she figures that out.

Maybe I will try the swing again, Thank you

With my ds we couldn't let him cry at all because he had severe reflux and dysphagia...so if he cried hard, he'd barf.
    When I was sick of rocking him to sleep he was much older than your LO but here's what worked for me:

I stayed in his room initially and would rub his tummy and pick him up if he started to cry.
    After a couple days of just having to rub his tummy I just stood next to the crib and sang songs/hummed/read to him softly.
    A couple days later I just stayed in the room.
    Another couple days I just left the door open and after about a week and a half, two weeks I was able to shut the door and say good night with no crying.
    He didn't take a paci or have a blankie or any thing either.

Now my daughter...she's already cried it out in the car a few times when we were on the road and not in a place that was safe to pull over. The longest she cried was about 3 minutes and she took the best naps after that.

You have to do what works for you but remember it's not going to happen in one day.
    GOOD LUCK!!!

just a few things to add:
    I didnt see if anyone mentioned a sling, but I see you wearing a baby carrier in your picture. Does your LO sleep in that at all? would she sleep in it for a while for you to sit down and do some work? or is that not possible?
    I tried CIO once. and only once. I was visiting my family and my son was just screaming uncontrollably and he was so so tired. Usually my DH can calm him down but he had left to go fishing. Well after a half hour of horrible crying (that he doesnt really do at home) my mom begged me to lay him down and let him CIO. I was crying myself b/c I couldnt calm him down, so I said I would give it 10 minutes. I just sat by the door watching my clock, crying. My mom pretty much had to stop me from going in there. He eventually did sleep, fot 1.5 hours. I felt horrible for doing it. He didnt hate me when he woke up. He probably forgot it happened. But I cant see myself doing it again, just because its so hard to have him in the other room, crying with no one there to comfort him. Someone brought up a good point to me. If your DH was calling and calling for your help in the other room, would you just sit there and ignore him? no, and I couldnt do that to my baby either. (thats a harsh way to think of it I know its not the same thing) I am not judging you for wanting to try it, because I wanted to try it too. I just wanted to share that it did not work for ME, although my baby was fine, I just couldnt handle it.
    whew. sorry so long. just wanted to share my experience with CIO. I wish you luck in your job and I hope you find something that works. Take care

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

My thought was a sling too. I get a lot of work done that way by walking the baby down and then doing some stuff, then getting up and walking around again at his waking time to get him to take a longer nap. When they're bigger, an Ergo in the back carry lets me get a lot of stuff -- physical stuff too -- done even while the baby is awake. I visit fabric store (I'm a home sewer) with my baby in the sling; I just need a way to corral the oldest now

Many babies around the age of your baby start having "trouble" sleeping, in that they won't go to sleep unless you are holding them, or they wake up when you lay them down elsewhere. It's because they start realizing, IMHO, that they are separate, and they cry because they want you to be with them. It's an instinctual thing. The trick is to figure out a way to balance their instinctual needs -- after all, historically, a baby left alone was a baby that would die -- and our modern needs.

Good luck!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

We did the Ferber method of CIO with my first when he was 6 months old. He cired 40 minutes the first night, 20 minutes the second and third night, and about 5 minutes every night after that (he seemed to always need to blow off a little steam before sleep). Mind you, the five minutes of crying was more like "complaning", it wasn't all out screaming or anything. I can't remember about naps though... I think CIO works for some, but not all kids. Some parents can do it, and some cannot. If you feel you cannot do it, then don't bother trying, because you have to be absolutely consistant for it to work.

Now with ds#2, we can't do CIO, because he will scratch himself bloody (he has food allergies and eczema). And while CIO will probably work after a couple of days, I can't bear the thought of it.

Angela

I cannot recommend enough a swing. Get Playskools cradle swing, it swings front-back and side-side, so if one way doesn't work there's a chance the other will.

Our daughter loves this, and 95% of the time, drifts right off to sleep within 5 minutes of rocking. Leave her in it for about 10 minutes, and 95% of the time I can (gently!) take her out and take her up to her crib, where she will generally sleep 2-4 hours.

Also, have you thought about a sleep positioner? We got one for our little one because she kept rolling over and we wanted her to sleep on her back. I think it also kind of makes her feel safe, because the sides butt right up against her (plus we swaddle her).

I promise I'm not trying to guilt you either, here are some other non-CIO suggestions from the Sears:
    Sleep Problems
    Maybe there are some ideas there that you haven't tried.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on