Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ouch--bendy bitey baby

Default ouch--bendy bitey baby

Hello, all--

My 9 1/2 week old son is a happy and avid nurser, but sometimes lately he goes into various yoga poses while nursing, bending his head this way and that way and stretching me out. Yikes! He also sometimes decides to get off the breast by clamping down and sort of yanking his head away, which is also not very nice. If I manage to guess when he's going to do this/is close to finishing, I can hook a finger in and break the suction, but most of the time he catches me off guard.

Any guess as to what's going on? I was almost wondering if he was teething freakishly early, since yesterday he was both unusually cranky (he's normally pretty laid back), extra drooly, and at one point basically nursed for 2 1/2 hours straight, but today he seems like he's in a better mood.

thanks,

Lou Lou

Default Re: ouch--bendy bitey baby

your baby is just growing and becoming more aware of the world around him. When my LO was 9 weeks, he started "talking" to my boob when he would nurse, and then something would catch his eye and he would look in that direction. It is a good thing because it means his vision is improving as farther objects come into focus.

The clamping is not comfortable, but you can hopefully learn to anticipate that in the future.

As far as teething, my ds has been drooling non-stop since about 8 weeks and has yet to see a tooth and today makes 24 weeks. We just use lots of bibs

The clamping down could be due to the flow slowing down, that's what my dd used to do around three months old. Try switching sides and/or breast compression.
    About nursing for 2.5 hours....was that on one side, or were you switching sides? It could be that he was eating or maybe he was using you as a pacifier. Either way, it's ok, babies have a strong need to suck.

I don't think he's distracted--he generally does it in the middle of the night with his eyes closed. So maybe a little breast compression will help!

He's had another hard early evening. One of those hard days in the baby business. The marathon nursing I'm sure was part self-pacifying though he's a champion eater. I was switching sides.

Haley will do this if she's interested in looking around. She likes to pull her head back to get a better view of my face sometimes. And she likes to look at the quilt behind me when I sit on the couch, or turn her head in the direction of DH's voice. Youch!

But she also does it when she's half asleep, with eyes closed, usually just because she's starting to drift off and startles herself. Last night she put her hand on my breast and pushed herself backward, in her sleep.

It's all part of the experience, I guess!
    Last edited by Pajama Mama; July 8th, 2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spell check :(
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Sounds like my daughter, except she does it all the time half asleep or wide awake. A very nosey baby. She clamps down and pulls as well.

My boys do this as well. It gets worse when they are pooping--they just clamp down and grunt, ouch! They catch me off guard quite frequently