Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: problems feeding 6.5wk old

Default problems feeding 6.5wk old

I had some difficulty when I first started breastfeeding but thanks to the lactation consultants at the hospital and Dr. Newman's website, we were able to turn things around. Everything was going great until about 2.5 weeks ago. My son started getting really angry/frustrated when I was feeding him (screaming, throwing his head back, arching his back). It was only happening once a day at first but now it happens at every daytime and evening feed. Overnight, we're still doing great. He feeds well, is relaxed and goes right back to sleep. During the day, each feed is a battle. He starts feeding for a few minutes and then freaks out. I sit him up, and burp him, and try some more. I change his diaper, and try again. I cuddle him, rock him... Eventually he sometimes comes around and I can get a good feed and have a calm baby at the end. Other times, he's just angry through the whole thing and I spend 30 minutes to two hours trying to settle him back down. When he is freaking out, he does seem very hungry. It will have been 2-3 hours since the last feed and he aggressively sucks my finger or his fist. I have tried feeding him in his room, in the glider, with the white noise machine going (like we do at night) but this doesn't consistently help.

I have pumped 1 bottle but it is in the freezer. I thought maybe breastfeeding should be more positive before I try the bottle?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: problems feeding 6.5wk old

I should also mention, he has normal wet and poopy diapers. He's also gaining lots of weight.

Ah, have you considered overactive letdown (OALD)? I have OALD and also had oversupply before I got regulated, and we had similar problems for about a week. Then, as I learned how to deal with it, Haley got older and better at coping, and my supply regulated, it got better and better.

Basically, with OALD you have a very forceful letdown, and the milk can spray baby in the back of the throat and come out so fast that he can't keep up with it. This makes for a very hungry, frustrated baby! Babies usually handle it better at night because they're too sleepy to fight it and just "go with the flow."

Do you notice the milk spraying or running out fast when your LO pulls off? A clicking noise or gulping when he nurses?

Check out kellymom.com for great info on this issue. There are really good suggestions, such as leaning back while nursing (using gravity) and block feeding. You can also pump a little to get past the fast letdown before nursing or, when your LO pulls off, let the milk drip into a cloth diaper until the flow slows down, then let him latch on again.

Otherwise, have patience! It will get better as your LO gets a little older and your supply regulates. You're doing great, mama!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    My son started getting really angry/frustrated when I was feeding him (screaming, throwing his head back, arching his back). It was only happening once a day at first but now it happens at every daytime and evening feed.
    Have you done any reading about acid reflux in babies? Here is some information, just scroll down and take a look at some of the symptoms. I would pay attention to your internal "mother" about whether you think it's just an irritated baby on your hands or a baby in discomfort. You probably know.

my son does the same things sometimes and he'll be 6wks tomorrow... I have realized that when he feeds which only last approx 10mins a side the milk leaks from the bottom of my boob and the top it like overflows out of his mouth!... at the sane time my other boob leaks like crazy so I can only imagine how much he's getting and hope its enough... but anyways my point if they try to drink so much so fast they have a better chance of swollowing air and having a slight case of colic! maybe try mylicon that's might help calm him down. HTH good luck and your doing wonderful keep up the awsome work!