Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question..regarding strictly pumping.

Default Question..regarding strictly pumping.

I am due with my first child in the middle of October and my child has a condition called gastroschisis where her bowel exists outside of her abdoman and so when she is born she will have to go right to surgery. Her condition is not serious, however, I will probably not get to hands on feed her for 1-2 weeks so I will have to rely solely on pumping. I am scared that I will not produce enough milk this way. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Am I correct in ASSUMING my milk will probably not keep up from pumping alone?

Default Re: Question..regarding strictly pumping.

It is very important that you do pump every two hours and I would recommend waking through the night to do it as well, just so your body is used to making the milk it needs to make.

Once your little one takes to the breast and starts nursing on cue, your body will adjust the milk as necessary.

That's my 2 cents, but I'm sure a leader will be along soon with something more official. My thoughts are with you!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I don't think so lots of moms of babies born to early go on to nurse with out much touble. You just have to either pump or hand express as many times in 24 hours as the baby normaly would.
    there is a bunch of good info on line!
    breastmilk is going to be the best for your baby, much easier on them then formula.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...rMay99p32.html

heres a good link from kelly moms about what to do when the baby isn't nursing at all at the breast
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html
    IS there a good lc at the hosptail where the baby is going to have her surgury?

I know someone who was in a similar situation: she had premature triplets who ended up in incubators for (if I remember correctly) a month and a half. She was not able to nurse right away- this was back in the 80's and everyone was so concerned about the babies being in sterile environments that they did not promote contact between moms and their premature babies. As soon as she was able to sit up after her c-section, she asked for a pump and started pumping. Her milk came in quickly and she was able to give breastmilk to all three babies. They got 100% breastmilk in the beginning, but as time went on the mom chose to give some formula because she was doing nothing but nurse the triplets, and had no time to sleep or eat, let alone run after her toddler.

It can be more difficult to build/maintain your supply through pumping alone. But that isn't a given- a lot of moms exclusively pump and provide sufficient milk for a year or more! As far as I understand, the best way to build your supply and maintain it with a pump is to pump frequently and to use the best quality pump there is. Hospital grade pumps are usually the most efficient- the hospital should have one for you to use, or should know where to obtain one. Pump at least as often as your newborn would nurse, which is usually every 1-3 hours. Make sure you pump for a few minutes after the flow of milk or colostrum stops, to give your body the message that there is demand for more milk. If the hospital has a lactation consultant or (preferably) an IBCLC on staff, have a consultation with her and have her observe a pumping session so that she can help you do it correctly.

I wish you the best of luck with your daughter's birth and the surgery ahead of her.

I am strictly pumping and I have a low milk supply due to a breast reduction surgery. When I started I pumped every two hours and used a hospital grade pump. I'll never have a full milk supply, but with someone with a "normal" supply I would think this would work great since it is working even with a low milk supply for me.

Jessica

I started out pumping immediately when my twins were born (at 35 weeks) and also nursing my son while his sister was in the NICU. My milk came in just great and it has stayed. I tried nursing, but it was working better to pump and feed expressed milk. Buy a hospital grade double electric pump (I use Medela pump in style).
    I pump every 3 hours in the day and not longer than about 5 hours at night.
    I pump for 15 min or at least 2 minutes past seeming 'dry' (sometimes you will get a small additional let-down if you wait a couple minutes).
    Try to relax (I pump with 1 hand, and type 1 handed on my laptop - time passes quickly that way). Drink, eat and get as much rest (ha ha) as possible. It does help to care for yourself too.
    Congrats on the baby! I have heard a lot of success with the surgeries to place the intestines back in the body (I think that is what you mentioned).

Good luck! ~ Jill

I exclusively pump and have generally had no issues with supply. My recommendation is to use a hospital grade pump.

Also, when you first start pumping, don't be discouraged by how little colostrum you get! It's like lanolin creme: a little bit goes a long way!

Anyway, I started pumping about 1 1/2 to 2 oz. Now I'm frequently getting 4-5.

I was told to pump for about 20 minutes, and I generally pump after I get done feeding her (Though lately she's been inconsistent with feeding times -- think she's hitting a growth spurt, so I pump every 3 - 4 hours).

You can definitely do it! Lots of moms pump for weeks or months with premature babies and end up with so much milk they donate some of it to a milk bank. Like others have said, a hospital grade pump will probably be best for you to maximize your production. Best of luck!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Thanks for all the input ladies! This makes me feel a lot better.

Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your daughter! I wasn't able to nurse my son until he was a few days old, and on the advice of my lactation consultant I pumped every 1.5 to two hours around the clock. It worked beautifully, and my son did really well. His dad delivered what I pumped to the nursery each time, and they gave it to him. We have had no problems with nursing, or with nipple confusion, which I was worried about. In the hospital, he was given bottles, a pacifier, and (finally!) the breast--and took all of them well. I hope your daughter's surgery goes well and that you won't have to wait long to hold her and nurse her. There is nothing like it.