Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question..regarding strictly pumping.

Default Re: Question..regarding strictly pumping.

I am a father to a baby born with the same Gastroschisis condition. In my experience or to put it more appropriately my partners experience, the amount of milk you will have to produce when your baby is introduced to milk will vary by amount, in the first instance your baby will be fed via TPN (Long Line) then slowly introduced to milk, probably on a scale of 5 to 10ml.

If you have any other feeding issues ask the consultant who will be dealing with your baby and the ICU who will care for your baby after birth.

I also maintain a brand new website dedicated to the Gastroschisis condition which may well have more of the answers you are looking for. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Dean; July 7th, 2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: terrible grammar

Default Re: Question..regarding strictly pumping.

I realize this post is a week or two old but I wanted to input my experience.

My son would not latch, despite all of my attempts and so I began to pump from the beginning. I rented a hospital grade (Ameda) pump from a LC and pumped every two hours around the clock for the first few months, then began to space it out a little more. At any rate I just wanted to encourage you that even if that's all you can ever do, it can work - and more than work!

I ended up having 'over-supply'! I was pumping 20 oz at a sitting (about every 4 hours) when he was 3-4 months old, and by the time he was about 7 months old I was pumping close to 30 oz every six hours. This is obviously way more than he needed and so I froze the milk, "just in case". I was able to stop pumping at 10 months and give him the frozen stuff and he still had bm until a year, and I ended up tossing HUNDREDS of ounces of milk.

It can work, just stick with it!!

Michelle