Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to pumping

Unhappy New to pumping

I have tried to pump several times and only seem to be able to get about an ounce (at best) regardless of the time of day. After the initial let down the milk just stops coming even after pumping for a few minutes. What am I doing wrong?

Default Re: New to pumping

I'm not an expert, but I have come to believe that pumping is an art! If you're new to it, I think you will have to be patient with the process...learn your body, your pump, and be patient! I've been at it since August, and I'm still learning, but I know the more you stress about the outcome, the less milk you will get! On Fridays, when I know that I don't have to meet a quota for the sitter, I usually get more. Also, I have recently upped the time for each session...I go at least 20 min in order to get at least two let-downs. I guess I should probably leave the advice to a pro, but I did want to encourage you and let you know it will get better! How old is your baby?

Thank you. That does help some. This is how naive I am...I wasn't aware you could have more than 1 let down per nursing/pumping "session".

Luke is 4 wks old.

I second Bella's Mom...pumping is an art and I get way more from a session when I am not worried about pumping. And an ounce is sometimes all I get, but I have been pumping since dd was 3 days old. Somedays I get 5 or 6 ounces per session...I think it also depends on how much dd is eating. If you are not pumping to replace a nursing, an ounce is probably what you will pump. Save it up, and feed dd ebm (or have someone else do it) and pump for the missed feeding--I bet it will be more.

Good luck! And maybe try posting in the pumping forum to get some more responses!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

It definitely takes a while to get the hang of it. After my DD was born, I couldn't pump anything and thought I'd never be able to give her a bottle. I put the pump away and tried again when she was a couple months old. Wow! What a difference it made! Then when I started back to work, I was pumping more than she could eat! I usually get 2 let downs within 10 minutes, so I can pump relatively quickly at work. But if I get busy reading email or whatever, I can stay hooked up longer and not even notice it and get a lot more.

Try pumping and doing something else like reading or watching TV so you kind of forget what you're doing. I bet you'll see more output that way. And if not, at least you'll pass the time quicker!

I'm moving this thread to pumping for more replies

Smile Re: New to pumping

I definitely agree with Lilly's Mom...I find something to do while I pump. When I'm at work, I'm usually on this forum! If not that, I do a crossword or play solitaire on the computer. I've gotten good at balancing the bottles on my legs...that lovely sag pays off finally!!! Anyway, I really enjoy it now. It's my quiet time when I feel like I'm doing something for my DD when I can't be with her! I was thinking the other day that I don't know what I will do when I don't have my pump sessions anymore. WHen I get home from work, I pump also, and DD has decided that she loves the equipment, so it gets interesting...at that time SpongeBob is on and I talk to my twins about their day at school and enjoy a snack. It's just become something that I do everyday and really enjoy...weird?