Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green Stool

Default Green Stool

Ok, I'm not finding much about green stool. Finally found something indicating that it means the baby is not getting enough calories or hind milk?? Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Why is it a bad thing? She's plump and happy... Usually eats from one breast at a time, except when she gets a bottle of EBM while I'm away at work.

Anyway, more info would be helpful... I do have an abundant supply at this point, but knowing she's only 3-months-old, I'm counting my blessings that I don't have a shortage. I really don't "hurt", but when I'm at work I can usually produce an extra 10-oz a day easy...

Any advice?

Default Re: Green Stool

Green poop is not in itself a bad thing. Here is an article about poop color.You might have too much milk if you had green stools along with gassy baby, lots of spit-up, mucous in the stools, blood in the stools, or mom constantly engorged.

My son also has mostly green stools. He's plump and happy. I try to get him to nurse longer but he won't. As long as he's gaining weight I'm not concerned.

If you have a bunch of extra milk, your baby has to eat through the extra to reach the hind milk. This is the calorie rich stuff they are talking about. A woman who has an over supply can experience a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. This imbalance is indicated by greener stools. I might consider block feeding a few times so that baby drains one breast completely before you offer the second one. I used to go twice on each boob before I switched and I found it helped the color of the poop.
    There is another thing worthy of mentioning. If you are seeing a green frothy poop ( like neon green) you may be staring at an allergic reaction to something expressed in your milk. hth

I am glad someone asked about green poop
    My 6 week old, Clara, has the occasional green poop and, of course, none of my books has anything on poop color.

I do sometimes have OALD and am glad to hear that is most likely the cause.

I'm so glad I found this forum!