Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need to go back to work-please help

Default need to go back to work-please help

My dd is 6weeks old (tomorrow). I am so thrilled to have bf'd this long. Things were awful with my 1st child (5 yo). I feel so blessed to be able to bf!!

In Sept. I need (don't want to go) to go back to work (teacher). I am so concerned about losing my supply which I feel is just enough right now. I already pump 1 or 2 times a day- once every a.m. and maybe a 2nd time if I feel a few feeds were 'lazy'.

I can pump at work- dd will probably be given 2-3 bottles while I am gone.

When should I introduce a bottle?
    How much should I put in the bottle?
    Do I pump at the same time dd is getting the bottle (before i go back to work)?

I am so worried to even start the bottle and miss a bf moment- emotionally and supply wise. Whenever dd isn't too hungry or just has a blah feed, I worry about losing supply- clearly I'm supply crazed.

Thanks- for all of your help
    Lauren

Default Re: need to go back to work-please help

here's the going back to work links here at the web site.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBworking.html
    check them out and the stories from new begings are cool too.
    some babies don't do well going between bottle and breast and then others have no troubles at all.
    Do you have a helper that can give the bottle? most breastfeed babies will refuse the bottle from mom, they are smart that way.

If you don't feal like doing the bottle right now then don't! Do what you feal is right for you and baby.
    dr sears has some good info on breastfeeding and working on his web site
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T020100.asp

My suggestion is to give the bottle now. Let dad do it in the morning and you can get a little sleep. Although I always pump while he is getting a bottle so my supply keeps up. We introduced a bottle very early (like 2 weeks) and my son has no problems going back and forth...except right now but that is another story (he's just moody or teething or something...). We really like the avent bottles and nipples. At that age I would put 4 oz in a bottle and see what she takes. My son got at least one bottle a day for a long time. DH fed him at 5 or 6 so I could get a little more sleep (at that time it was taking him an hour to nurse - so I could just pump for 15 mins then go back to sleep til his next feeding). Now he gets less bottles but I think getting him use to it early helped alot. However, this is just my experience and as already said every child is different.

Also - your suppy is going to be up and down for the first 3 months. I know for us once we hit 2.5 months it finally felt like we were in sync. Don't get too paranoid about it. You are doing the right thing to pump when you feel she is not eating as much. It sounds like you are doing great!

When I had my first son I had to go back to teaching also But it can be done. I was able to nurse him and work full time past a year. Just make sure that you pump as often as your lo is getting a bottle. I often pumped an extra time at first so I knew I would have enough for the next day. I taught K so I had more flexibility to when I could pump. I gave hime his first bottle around 7 weeks and then gave him one feeding a day until school started. He never had a problem going from breast to bottle. I think they say provide 1 oz for every hour you will be away from lo. Hang in there I know how hard it is to go back to work.

I just came back to work 2 weeks ago and pumping is going great. I pump 3x's (sometimes) 4x's a day for 15-20 minutes. I usually pump out 4-6oz each time I pump. (Usually 9am, noon and 3pm). Caitlin is 10 weeks tomorrow and she is getting 4oz. bottles when I am away from home.

I also let DH feed her for the most part in the beginning and she took to it pretty well after the first few tries. We started our first little girl at around 5 weeks with a bottle and this one we started at 6 weeks.

For the most part with my first - my supply was fine. I do remember around 6months (when we introduced solids) that my supply went down.

Good luck to you. I know how hard it is going back to work and I hope the transisition is easy on both you and baby.

I am supply obsessed so you are not alone. But lemme tell ya, stress doesnt help. My LO gets along with 12 - 16 oz while away from me. The get this I pump 5x daily. Once when I wake up, 2x at work, when I get home and before bed. I introduced the botte at three weeks, but my LO has been easy so far. I would start a month before you go back to give her time
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

You guys are great- I feel like this is do-able now-

I have never ever gotten 4-6 oz when I pumped so I'll probably need to do a few extra pumpings.

Thanks so much for all of the great advice!

Lauren

Well she is still pretty young yet so you may not need that much per feeding. Just pump what you can and try not to stress about it. I know its hard not to. Also you can try to give 2 or 3 oz at first. If she's still hungy you can always give more or nurse if you dont have any more fresh milk. Then pump out the rest after she is full.

Lauren, the first few weeks of pumping I got 4 oz, total. It gets better I swear. But I get between 2.5-4.5 a session. thats why I do it 5x a day. I hope you get more.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Yeah, when I didnt have any milk stored and was just beginning to stock up, I pumped after every feeding until I was empty. Only got a couple ounces each time but it adds up and before you know it you have a freezer full of milk! Once you have full bottles and she is taking them then its easy to replace each bottle when she eats.