Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush?

Default Thrush?

So, here's the deal:

My nipples look ok when they are dried out. A little of the areola around them though is usually pink. This is the part of the areola that usually gets sucked into my pump horns.

When I start pumping it really, really hurts. I'm talking intense, shooting pain that makes me cringe. For the remainder of the pumping it doesn't hurt so bad, but it does continue to hurt, and after I'm done, even after applying some milk and letting it dry, my nipples are very tender and very, very sensitive.

I had something similar a week ago and when I saw the doc he said that if it was thrush, everything would be red. And beyond the little ring of pink, there's nothing discolored, not even the nipple itself.

The weird thing is that the pain I was having then went away while I was taking antibiotics. I just finished them this past Tuesday though and since then the pain has returned.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Thrush?

Hi- I don't know for sure, but I can tell you my experience. I had really sensitive nipples (like any clothing on them hurt, or water on them in the shower... ouch!!) !!! And my baby had a white patch on the very back of her tongue. Does your LO have any white patches? I also would get these shooting pains through my breasts about 2 hours after a feeding. I never had redness (that I was aware of, anyway) or any other symptoms. I hope this helps a little bit anyway!!! (OH, and my thrush came on after using antibiotics).

I am having the exact same condition that both of you are describing. I have read so many resources and could not find any documenting my exact condition. So based on what both of you are saying, I'm wondering if I also have thrush.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
    So, here's the deal:

My nipples look ok when they are dried out. A little of the areola around them though is usually pink. This is the part of the areola that usually gets sucked into my pump horns.

When I start pumping it really, really hurts. I'm talking intense, shooting pain that makes me cringe. For the remainder of the pumping it doesn't hurt so bad, but it does continue to hurt, and after I'm done, even after applying some milk and letting it dry, my nipples are very tender and very, very sensitive.

I had something similar a week ago and when I saw the doc he said that if it was thrush, everything would be red. And beyond the little ring of pink, there's nothing discolored, not even the nipple itself.

The weird thing is that the pain I was having then went away while I was taking antibiotics. I just finished them this past Tuesday though and since then the pain has returned.

Any ideas?
    Hi, I've had thrush for almost 4 months now (my son turned 4 months old 2 days ago) and am in the process of getting rid of it. It's not easy and I can tell you

Your symptom sound familiar....does it feel like broken glass or pins and needles? As I describe it, it feels like millions little needles raking through my breasts.

Your doctor is INCORRECT! Your nipple would not be red if it was thrush. Nipples can look perfectly normal. My aerola became shiny but otherwise looked normal. It usually hurts inbetween feedings and especially during let down.

There are lots of discussions about thrush on the Infant Questions Forum. Between Diflucan, Gentian Violet, Grapefruit Seed Extract, etc... lots of different things to try. Most importantly minimize/eliminate sugar from your diet! Yeast thrives on sugar.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

yup sounds like thrush to me also.
    call your local leader she can help!
    IT doesn't hurt to treat if you have been on anti-botics.

Is it just a small ring of pink/red? Is the pain just when you pump or also when you nurse? I had a similar pain and a red ring when I pumped and a LC told me I had the wrong size breastshields. Changing the breastshield relieved the problem. When I had thrush I had pain when nursing and pumping and my nipples were red all the time.

I exclusively pump because I can't get her to nurse.

I use the lg shields from medela (27 mm).

When I use the regular size shileds, the standard ones (24 mm) my nipple rubs against the sides. I tried it for a short time and ended up with some clogged ducts (ow ow ow ow ow!). Not sure if that was why, but it also seemed that I didn't pump as much. I suppose I could go back to trying them again and see if that helps.

I do know that if I start my lactina pump on speed 1 and increase it after a moment the pain's not so bad.