Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sucking fingers

Default sucking fingers

hi again. Baby is feeding well (has been from day one). She is now almost 2 months old and has started sucking her fingers and also my shirt when carried over the shoulder. Some are saying that maybe she is not getting enough milk. Could this be so? or is it just a normal instinctive thing for baby's to want to suck on things. She is gaining weight well and I feed untill she stops (usually about 10 minutes)

Default Re: sucking fingers

normal baby!

Very normal! My DS can't get enough of his fingers! LOL

haha!! Thanks... I think I just needed to hear that. On that note, I tried to give her a pacifier as was adviced that it will be easier to wean her off a dummy than struggle to stop her sucking her fingers. but she hates it... so fingers it is ;-)

Forget about the paci, mine never liked it either. He liked his finger better, now at 11 months he rarely put his finger on his mouth, he's to busy playing with his toys or me. I've seen kids sucking a paci or their fingers pass their 3rd year, so some people will have to struggle with a habit regardless of what they use.

Gavin sucks on his fingers too lol he enjoys his paci at times however
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

elaina used to suck her fingers only when hungry and it was always a great sure sign of hunger but as soon as she turned 8 weeks (she's 11 wks), she started self soothing with her fingers, her jacket, my shirt, the car seat straps, basically anything that'll fit into her mouth! it's actually kind of hard now to tell when she's really hungry or just sucking!

diana

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    elaina used to suck her fingers only when hungry and it was always a great sure sign of hunger but as soon as she turned 8 weeks (she's 11 wks), she started self soothing with her fingers, her jacket, my shirt, the car seat straps, basically anything that'll fit into her mouth! it's actually kind of hard now to tell when she's really hungry or just sucking!
    my DS as well now! the worse is the hickeys he gives me on my neck! ouch!

My little one has all of a sudden found a preference for her fingers, hands, my shirt, neck, chin, whatever she can find....she sometimes won't even take her paci, but gets mad cause she doesn't have enough control over her hands to keep them where she wants!! She screams at me like I took them away or something!! An attitude at 2.5 months....what will be next!! Totally sounds like your baby is normal....just try and find the fun in it...its really kinda comical to watch sometimes!

haha!! Can totally relate to that. She gets really mad when I try to give her the paci and gags and makes a face at it...but then she has trouble finding her hands and gets so frustrated. Sometimes when she's in a really bad mood or crying (she might have a mild case of reflux) I've found that giving her a knuckle of my finger has also soothed her - but I don't do that often. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Tash