Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleep at 6 weeks

Default sleep at 6 weeks

My baby will be 6 weeks old on friday. Should I continue to wake her up every 3 hrs to feed her at night and do they go longer at this point? Some nights she automatically wakes up at 2.5 hrs but others I wake her at 3.0 hrs. (I set a timer).

Default Re: sleep at 6 weeks

If she has been gaining weight well and seems to be eating enough during the day (8-12 times in a 24 hour period is the goal), then letting her sleep as long as she wants to at night should be fine. Our ped. told us to wake ds for the first month. Enjoy the rest!

(agrees with pp)....let her sleep if she's thriving, she'll let you know when she's hungry.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

My son is 6 weeks too. He started sleeping a good stretch a few weeks ago. I woke him at first too, until I posted the same question you did and got many, "Let him sleep!" answers.

Same here, I no longer wake my 6 week old to BF and since then our feeding relationship is even stronger. He always tells me when he's hungry and I know when he needs it for comfort. Last night he went 5 hours w/o eating it was fantastic!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

my baby will be 6weeks Fri. (tomorrow) also!!

She sometimes wakes every 2-3 hours and sometimes goes about 5 hours. I try not to freak out when she wakes after 4-5 hours not bec. I am worried about her eating- I worry my supply will decrease (I'm sort of supply neurotic).

She's doing great! Let yourself get some sleep!!

Lauren

thanks!! last night i got no sleep since she is sick with nasal congestion but as soon as this clears up i hope i get more sleep. she went from 8 pounds 11oz. last thurs to 9 pounds 8 oz today so i know she's doing great with feeding and gaining!