Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 2nd time easier?

Default Is 2nd time easier?

I am just wondering if it's easier the 2nd time around when bfing a lo. I had such a tough time the first time, like I'm sure many of you did, that I wonder if it was a little easier when you had a 2nd or 3rd?

Default Re: Is 2nd time easier?

I have no experience to go on (just now working on my first! ), but I have heard and observed that, while the second time is easier for mama, in that you know what to do and how to maneuver, each baby is different, and some need more "training" in BF'ing than others. So, some catch on right away and others need more time. I'd imagine that it would still be easier, then, but there might still be a learning curve for your LO.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

From my experience, it was easier for me this time around (the third time's a charm, I guess!!!!). The first time, I was so overwhelmed with my LO, not to mention the sudden lack of sleep, the cracking, bleeding, and just trying to recover from labor and delivery!! The second time, I barely tried bf'ing at all once I left the hospital. This time, it's been almost 10 weeks of nonstop bf'ing, and I LOVE every minute of it (even despite thrush and a blocked duct!! ). I learned that every experience is different since every baby is different- best of luck to you!!!

the 2nd time has been easier for me in that i am more educated, with that said, every baby is so different! i have more determination with the second one, but i wouldn't say it is easier to get them to breastfeed, because every baby has to learn how. i guess some babies are natural nursers neither of my babies have been, but both have been emergency c-sections so they didn't get right to the breast. good luck!

I only bf my first for about 2 weeks and hated it. I had so much trouble. (though the fact that I was 19 and totally selfish might have had something to do with it. I still feel bad about that) This time, I can't get him to stop. Not that I want him to. I love every second of it, and he is a natural born nurser. He latched on right away, and off he went and never looked back. I am so greatful for this time round that I decided to stick with it.

I've found it's not easier or harder for that matter, just different. I've had to re-learn how to hold the little one vs. my 16.5 month old. This one had latch issues at first where the other one never had latching problems. BUT.....I know so much more now than I did when I started bf'ing the other one that I feel less frustrated (most of the time) than I did at the beginning w/ her. Hope that makes some sense.

Second time around has been a thousand times easier to breastfeed, in that I didn't have to struggle to learn how to hold my breast, etc., because I already knew how to do it. I also knew how to overcome some of the problems I ran into (loonnggg story, and it's a miracle I overcame the problems and continued nursing).

But each child is different. Çolton isn't bothered, for example, by my overactive letdown, which really bothered Ian. Colton doesn't have acid reflux and Ian did. Both those things have really made nursing easier.

Nursing a baby with an older child running around requires some creativity. I have found nursing sessions are more frequent but shorter, and I've worked out a systems so I can nurse the baby while laying down but still supervising the older. It all works out.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree with the PP. Nursing my second was a lot easier in many ways, because I was a lot more confident and knew more about what to expect. But keeping my daughter entertained and not feeling as though she was neglected by the amount of time I had to spend nursing her new brother was a challenge I didn't have the first time around. I could spend hours rocking and nursing guilt free... which is why I'm so glad that I did it when I could. I remember holding my daughter for the entire day, getting up to get food or go to the bathroom, but staying in the rocking chair for hours, thinking to myself that I'd probably never again get the chance to just focus on my only baby again. With two, you're balancing both kids needs. So it was physically a lot easier, but emotionally more challenging. Does that make sense?

I am growing #2 right now so I can not speak from experience.

However, I remember my sister saying this....The first one was the hardest she felt because it was just a new thing to learn for them both..lol...But #2 latched on like an old pro..no problems whatsoever. Now #3 needed a lesson or two, but after a couple tries she was an old pro as well. Now she is only hoping #4 to be born in the next 6 weeks or so will be an old pro because she is rusty..her youngest is almost 10 now!!!

Each baby is going to be different..some latch on without any issues, and some with many issues. I think now that you have the hang of it, it will be MUCH easier to handle the bumps along the way
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

It was for me! 'Course, I had twins first . That said, I think the 2nd time around, you know what to expect from a recovery standpoint, from a sleep deprivation standpoint, etc. And, if you're dedicated to wanting to breastfeed, you'll know more of what to expect because you will have researched it beforehand. Not to say there won't be any pitfalls, but it helps to have some resources available.

Get a good breastfeeding book. LLL has a good one (from what I've heard)--The Motherly Art of Breastfeeding. Lots of libraries carry it if you can't afford to buy it. I used the Nursing Mother's Companion. It was really nice to have on hand when I had a question. Don't forget LLL. You don't have to be a member or go to meetings to get some advice. Through the online forums here, or call a local leader if you have questions.

I made it a week breastfeeding my twins. It made me more determined than ever to successfully breastfeed any other children I had after that. I'm happy to say that my son never had a drop of formula!