Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Early Teething

Default Early Teething

Some of my mom friends have suggested my son might be teething early. He is 3.5 months and has begun to drool and chew/gum/suck on his hand or my shoulder/shirt etc and his pacifier. The said their kids cut teeth at 4 months. He also has been rufusing a bottle lately but has no problem nursing - spits up a bit more though. Any thoughts...and if he is what should I be expecting?

Default Re: Early Teething

I will definately say it is possible! My son had two teeth come in the week he turned 4 months. Some moms on here (cant remember who) have said their child had teeth around 11-12 weeks
    Your son could be discovering his hands, mouth, anything else, but it sounds like teething to me! As far as not taking the bottle, it may be painful to him to suck on the nipple. Some babies nurse more when they are teething, while some will nurse less. just more proof that all babies are different.
    Good luck!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Its funny because I get all excited "oh another milestone"...but I know its probably going to be hell for both of us!

If he does cut teeth this young what do I do about biting? I dont want to make him stop eating but want him to know biting is not ok...

chances are he wont bite all that often, since his tongue covers his bottom gums when he is sucking and latched correctly. But when he does, those teeth are sharp! they come in with sharp ridges on them.
    When my son bites, I tell him 'no biting' (not that he understands me!) and he usually unlatches himself when I talk to him. Or just simply unlatch him and dont offer the breast for a few minutes.
    WHen my son is not hungry or is too distracted, thats when he bites me.
    I dont know of anything you can do to prevent it, except to prepare for it. But I went several weeks before he bit me for the first time. Just go on his hunger cues and feed him then, so hopefully there wont be any playing around!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Thanks, we'll see what happens. It sounds like he's fussing with the bottle my MIL is giving him right now (I'm supposed to be working...oops ). But he is at least taking it and not screaming.
    I guess the teething is just like everything else, get all the info I can and then basically figure it out as we go!