Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what happens if my supply drops, and DS won't take bottle or formula?

Default what happens if my supply drops, and DS won't take bottle or formula?

He's 8 months old and teething. This week has not been breasting for very long at all. Definitely not emptying the breast. I try to bring him to it to eat but he refuses. He refuses bottle and BM. What happens if my supply drops and he continues to lose interest in nursing?

I should probably just not stress about it right? I keep telling myself that but it's not working.

Default Re: what happens if my supply drops, and DS won't take bottle or formula?

will he drink out of a sippy cup maybe?

Default Re: what happens if my supply drops, and DS won't take bottle or formula?

Try not to stress out about it -- all babies go through periods of time where they're less interested in nursing (because they're teething, ill or distractible). Your supply may drop a bit but that's okay because he's not eating it anyway. Once he picks his nursing back up again, your supply will increase again.

Just keep an eye on him -- you don't want him getting dehydrated

You're doing great - keep it up!

Some days my dd won't eat hardly at all and I always worry--especially if I have to pump the next day at work. And my supply usually does drop a little but it always comes back. What's frustrating about it is that when dd starts to eat more again she expects it to be there in the same quantity as fast as it was before the "strike". Oh well--they keep us guessing, don't they??

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

He doesn't really drink from the sippy. Just a few sips and then starts to play with it so not enough to get a good meal from it.