Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipation

Default Constipation

I started my dd on rice cereal. After 1 week without a bm, I tried giving her peas (which are supposedly supposed to be high in fiber). She finally had one a couple of days later. But it's been 3 days since then and she hasn't had another one. I haven't given her cereal for over a week, but the peas are not helping much anymore. Her doctor recommended an over the counter supository for infants, but I would like to avoid this as well as any other medicines. I'd rather use a more natural method. Besides, when she had one a few days ago, it was not hard, but it was thicker that usual. However, she had a hard time passing it for several days...she would stress really hard and start to cry. Would too much sugar in my diet cause her to have a hard time? How long do I have to cut out the cereal before her bowels will go back to normal? What other baby foods might help her to go?

Default Re: Constipation

Constipation is a really good indication that baby's system simply isn't ready for solid foods. You may want to cut out the solids altogether and just nurse, nurse, nurse for now. Try solids again in a couple of weeks. Also, it's possible that the iron in the rice cereal is what contributed to the constipation. Iron-fortified rice cereal is really nutritionally deficient and the iron in it can impede baby's body's ability to absorb the iron in your breastmilk. You may want to look for foods that are naturally rich in iron instead, if you are really wanting to do solids.

I don't know how old your baby is but the AAP recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first full 6 months of life

HTH!

She just turned 6 months. We started cereal 1.5 weeks ago and just started peas a few days ago. I'll wait a week or two and try something else. I didn't think 1 tsp. of solids per day would make such a difference! Thanks for the reply!

Try prunes or even a little juice. That worked well for my ds.

At 6 months, you could try oats, barley, or a mixed grain cereal instead of rice - they are far less constipating.

A good natural way of relieving baby constipation is massage - particularly if you do it in a warm bath. Start at baby's navel and work your way outwards, in a clockwise direction. "Cycling" baby's legs can also help, as it puts gentle pressure on the intestine, which can get things moving!