Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk and wheat in baby food

Default Milk and wheat in baby food

I noticed that some of the baby foods actually are made with milk and wheat. For example I bought an organic spinach lasagna (stage 2) for my dd and got home and noticed the ingredients include whole milk and wheat. If those are highly allergenic foods and we aren't supposed to introduce milk until 1 year are these items safe in the food? I'm afraid now to give him these items...should I be? :confused:

Default Re: Milk and wheat in baby food

For the most part, I've avoided any of the 'dinners' baby food-type things for my almost 1 year old. I usually just give her fruits & veggies and some of whatever I'm eating, that way I can be sure I know what she's getting without really having to read the label.

That said, my daughter hasn't had any food allergy symptoms, so I've been introducing some of the more allergenic foods already, like milk, egg, etc. We don't have any family history of food allergy on either side, so I felt a little safer doing so. I think the key is whether you feel comfortable introducing the more allergenic foods, and making sure you do so one at a time so you can narrow down the culprit in case your baby has any problems.

Good luck!

the bad part about it your paying top dollar for flour and milk..
    this is a good read
    http://www.cspinet.org/reports/cheat1.html

how old is your baby?
    I started my babies on table food at about a year and they were pretty much eating what ever we ate for supper just ground up if they didn't have any teeth yet.
    thoose little jars are $$$$ and they taste terrialbe.
    If your worried about the milk and flour I would not try them, maybe you could take them back and exchange them for something that didn't have flour and milk or give them away to somebody with an older baby.
    I was given some baby food for christmas for my dd and the next lady that I knew that had a baby shower got thoose jars to play that food guessing game. lol... the kids at the party liked that..

Wheat should be avoided for the first 6 months, but should be OK to introduce after that (with the consent of your baby's doctor and provided that there is no family history of wheat allergy). In fact, http://www.coeliac.co.uk/for_families/98.asp recommends feeding it regularly at this age, in order to quickly identify if baby has any problem in tolerating gluten.

I agree with Lilly's mom - if you make your own baby food, you can be SURE what has gone into it and it means you don't have to worry about what your baby is eating. And yes ... it's much cheaper than the commercial variety!