Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help, from bottle feeding to breast feeding.

Default Help, from bottle feeding to breast feeding.

Hi, I am a new mom. My daughter is two weeks old, and she had latch-on problems from the beginning. After trying for 4 or 5 days after she's born, a LC told us that we can use bottle to feed her while still trying to breast feed. But she seems to depend more and more on bottle now. When I put her to my breast, she occasionally can latch on, and suck several times, then cry a little bit, then suck again. But most of the time she simply refuses to be fed, especially when she is hungry, she gets so annoyed.

I felt so frustrated, but I really want to breast feed her, and using bottle as a supplement only. So can anybody tell me how serious the situation is? Is there still hope for my daughter to be breast fed? If so, what should I do?

Many thanks!

Default Re: Help, from bottle feeding to breast feeding.

I would offer the breast frequently, maybe even before you see hunger signs. If she is hungry she will likely get frustrated at the breast. So, maybe you could keep her topped off by offering the breast often and not use the bottles very much until she gets used to the breast and you build your supply. But, I do not know why your LC recommended the bottle. If your lo is not getting much milk from the breast, you do want to make sure she is eating something. You could possibly try using a dropper instead of a bottle.

I used the medicine dropper to dribble formula on my nipple to try and teach my son to latch on. The side I did that with I am having better luck with than the side he originally latched on in the hospital. He was less frustrated. I also used to pump for a minute or 2 to bring the nipple out further so that he could latch on more easily and milk was a little more available for him.

don't be afraid to call your local leader she can help beter then we can on-line.

heres a good link about getting the baby back to the breast;
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

are you pumping any?
    How often is baby nursing?
    what are her wet and poopy diapars like in 24 hours?

Thanks for all your kind replies. After trying for a few days, my daughter finally can latch on. Well, only on one side, on the other I have to use a nipple shield. She feeds every 2 to 3 hours. Before she took my breast, I pumped when she was fed with a bottle.

Now I have some new problem. When she begins to latch-on, my areola area hurts a lot. But after that, when she starts sucking, I don't feel that much pain. This has been a few days and it does not seem to get better. Any idea why this happens?

Thanks.