Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting solids and they wont take milk?

Default starting solids and they wont take milk?

hi
    i am considering starting solids for our 5 month son.i heard some say that their babies stopped breast feeding.concerned about this
    please advise.i'd like to feed his as long as possible atleast till a year
    currently he has some patches of eczema that we are working on with creams.
    thanks

Default Re: starting solids and they wont take milk?

Here is LLL's FAQ about starting solids that may help: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

Hi! I wouldn't worry about starting solids now unless he shows some serious interest in them. DS is 8 months and is just really beginning to show interest, and at the same time I do watch a little 5 month old who absolutely loves his rice cereal. For the record, neither of them have problems with the liquids (DS is BF, little guy is FF).

I would def wait until you see all of the "ready" signs for starting solids before you begin. Also those eczema patches could be a sign of a food allergy, so I would be VERY careful what and when you do give him solids. Any family history of FA's? Babies need, with out a doubt breast milk or formula for at least the 1st year of their lives. If you do start solids and he does stop nursing then my guess would be that he is getting too much solids. You always want to try to nurse first and then offer the food. Food is very much secondary and just to "play" with in the first year.