Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: it's all gone haywire!?!

Default it's all gone haywire!?!

DS is 13 weeks / 3 months (1st Feb) and exclusively bf. I express @ 10am for the nanny to feed DS with a bottle so that he gets used to it when I go back to work in 2 weeks time.

The last 9 days he has been fed @ 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, and 10:30pm.

He had his vaccinations on Friday last week (it is Tuesday today) and they havent seemed to have bothered him.

He has then been a little sweetheart and slept through until between 5:30am & 7am for the last 9 days.

Until last night.....

when he woke up at 3:40am, and downed both breasts until 5am, and went back to sleep until 6:30am for another feed. Then ate @ 10am, 12:40pm, 2:40pm, 5:30pm, and 6:30pm this evening. I am going to wake him up (assuming he doesnt himself!) for his 10pm feed. My breasts are barely filling up in time, and he has got very frustrated today when feeding, presumably because the let down is slower.

He's been really mercurial today - smiles->tantrum in two breaths!
    He's also been trying to roll over from his back to his tummy, ending up on his side.
    He's hardly slept all day, and has been really grumpy from being overtired, although he wont settle and sleep either.

What has happened?! Is it a growth spurt?! How long with this last?

I'm concerned because I have to go back to work soon, and I dont have any freezer stock of EBM if he needs to start feeding more regularly! I barely express enough for his feed (140+ml for a feed, and I can often only express 100-110ml).

Please help!

Default Re: it's all gone haywire!?!

Things like that can happen. Babies will start sleeping through the night, and than they can start waking up. However, I personally would not wake the baby for a feed. I think that a baby should be fed on demand, not on a schedule. As to how long this will last, maybe for day, maybe a little longer. I understand your concern about not having enough EBM for when you go back to work. Perhaps pumping more than once a day and starting to freeze it. (Gosh, I love Canada - we get a year of maternity leave ).

I don't know if this is any help for you. What I have learned in my experience is that pretty much it is all normal when it comes to babies and bf.

Zrina

the schedule/routine works for us, and for him - normally! he's a very sensitive little chap and actually enjoys the routine. as an infant he was very sucky and would suck on my (bleeding & raw) nipples for comfort. I had to have a routine otherwise I would have dropped breastfeeding because the pain was agonising.

I wake him up at between 10-11pm, because otherwise he wakes himself up around 11:30-12pm and is much harder to settle again afterwards.

At the moment I cant pump more than once a day, as my milk supply is so finely tuned with my DS that my breasts really are empty after a feed and do not fill up quickly again, even after 1 hour.

With both my children I found that around 3 months they started to wake up more often at night and sleep shorter during the day. Teething might play a role there, as well as increased awareness of their surroundings.

Unfortunately, you might just have to put up with this. Six feeds a day isn't very much at all, and many breastfed babies want several feeds at night. My baby nurses four or five times every night, and he is eight months old and on solids. What you experience at the moment might be normal and something that you need to accomodate! Co-sleeping might help. Good luck with working out a solution for you both.

I always wake my dd right before bed because she wakes up about 45 min-2 hours after I go to sleep. And she is super irregular with her sleep at night--she might sleep a 5 hour stretch or she might need to eat every 1.5 hours. She is 4.5 months and has been back and forth since about 2 months. I never know what to expect. It is most likely a growth spurt and I don't know what to tell you about pumping more milk to keep up with ds. My breasts don't fill up quickly either, but if I pump 1 hour after I feed, then there is enough for her 1 hour later--she eats every 2 hours, like clockwork. And I can always pump first feeding in the morning on the opposite side as dd is eating.

good luck to you!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

My ds is 19 weeks old and we have gone through several rounds of what you are describing; it will pass! You said that you don't have any frozen milk and that you cannot pump enough to have a supply? The easiest way to increase your supply to meet his needs and have anything left over for you to go back to work is to feed him more and pump. I know you have said that he empties you every time; however, pumping increases the supply even if you don't get any volume the first time or two. It is amazing how pumping between feedings will increase your supply quickly! I have nursed and pumped to increase my supply and now I have enough in the freezer to feed my ds for 2 weeks. You must be patient and try to work through this; nurse him as much as possible until you go back to work - it does help tremendously.

Smile Re: it's all gone haywire!?!

I agree with what everyone has said. Another thing to add is that because he is drinking more right now your supply will increase to meet those demands. If he goes back to his normal schedule after this growth spurt/teething you will be able to pump off the excess to build your freezer supply. My 6.5 mos old nurses every 2 hours day and night and that is with rice cereal in the morning and dinnertime. He also occasionally nurses for an hour or more straight early in the mornings. Just go with the flow...

thanks ladies, particularly Asialinn!