Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any pumpers that can help?

Default any pumpers that can help?

I was told by my doc today to pump for atleast 48 hrs due to sever cracked nipplesbut I have never pumped! how do you know how long to pump for? and my son will be 4 wks tom what is the average amt I should be able to pump? I would appreciate as much help as possible! ild rather not pump but anything that halps me get better so I can nurse longer is good for me!

Default Re: any pumpers that can help?

Hi there. Congratulations on your LO. So sorry about the cracked nipples, they are the worst. I had the same issue and used nippleshields to breastfeed and pumped about 15-20 minutes on each side to start. I would say to pump as long as your LO would nurse. Another tip is to try lansinoh lanolin on your nipples to help them heal or just some breastmilk on them and allow them to air dry. Just telling you what I did that got me through the rough spots. I'm sure some other moms will come along with other tips.

HTH and good luck!

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I would also suggest that since your nipples are cracked and sore, to rub some nipple cream on the inside of the flanges to keep the friction from the pumping down. I also suggest the air drying, and actually, keep them out in the fresh air as much as possible, especially while you sleep. If you leak, then I would just put a towel under you. The air really helped heal mine. I preferred MotherLove Nipple Cream. It isn't as thick as the Lansinoh and felt better to me. Good luck, it does get better!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

thank you both I will see what works for me! but just for an idea how much were you guys able to pump in the beginning? what exactly are nipple shilds and where do u get them? and what causes cracked nippples?

Nipples shields are exactly that, little silicone shields that you put over your nipples to help with the soreness and help your LO latch on and nurse. Here's a medela link that explains it better...http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/nipshield.html

Also, the amount you get while pumping differs from mother to mother. I have oversupply in the beginning and was able to pump a lot, but it's not the same for everyone.

HTH.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

so after looking the shields look helpful BUT did you hae to wean off them? how long did u use them? how did things go after the shields?

Quote Originally Posted by jess6507 View Post
    so after looking the shields look helpful BUT did you hae to wean off them? how long did u use them? how did things go after the shields?
    I would steer clear of the nipple shield. It took a long time for me to wean my Preemie, and I wish I never started using it. You just have cracked nipples (and I know how painful they are), but your baby is not refusing to latch at all. The baby gets used to the feel and shape of the nipple shield and some have never been successful in getting rid of it. Personally, I would suffer through the pain of the cracks, work on healing them and getting a better latch and only give a bottle once in awhile if need be.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

oh really that's what I was afraid of! but to be honest with you I never had a problem with my latch so why now is there any other way to get cracked nipples? I feel lost! and I am SO afraid that after pumping for two days he won't want my breast anymore!!

i pumped in the beginning for the same reason. i was able to get around 4-5 ounces total in one pumping session. i would usually pump for about 15 minutes. they say to pump for a couple of minutes after the milk stops. For me, if i waited a couple of minutes, the milk would start again, so i couldn't really use that technique. also, try using the lowest suction you can because it will help keep your nipples from getting more sore. The most important thing I have to tell you is that my son is now 3 months old and is pretty much exclusively breastfeeding. I did not have a hard time getting him back on the breast...in fact, i can hardly get him to take a bottle now. it might mess with your baby's latch at first, but as long as you know how to correct it, it will be fine. good luck!

oh that makes me feel so much better but I thought things were going fine with the latch and all do you know if anything else can cause that? I'm thinking I will call someone just to make sure I'm doing it right