Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Kicking While Nursing

Default Kicking While Nursing

dd has started kicking me while she nurses. I hold her in the cross cradle position and she kicks as hard as she can into my arm while she nurses. I try to move my arm, and she wedges her foot back in and continues. If I hold her foot - she unlatches and cries. I can use my hand like a spring board but then she slips while nursing.

Anyone have any good ideas??

Default Re: Kicking While Nursing

Gosh, you might have to respond to this as you would if she was biting you-let her unlatch and tell her no to what she is doing and only latch her back on if she isn't doing this. Just my suggestion.

Good idea! I didn;t even think of this - i will try - thanks!

My ds was doing giving me a wrestling match for a while too, I just pulled on my breast and aimed it toward the roof of his mouth. I thought of this after watching my milk as I pumped after returning to work. I couldn't believe the spray! So I thought maybe it was bothering his throat. It seems to be working!

Good luck,
    Di

My son did the same thing until I switched to a football hold. I sit at an angle in the glider so his legs can kick freely yet my back still can relax on the back of the chair. He eats and kicks and is happy that way. Maybe give that a try? I was told my son is loving the fact that he can strech so that's what he is doing.

Thank you for all the suggestions - i will try them

I hope you have luck getting her to settle down while nursing. My DD never did, no matter what I do. She's 12 MOs now and practically break-dances while nursing!

My dd does the same thing but it only started after she got her bouncy chair. I thought she may be trying to "have her cake & eat it too" ....eat and have the bouncy chair at the same time. I gently rock her up and down while she eats and she doesn't kick. The exception to that is if she is full and wants to play, she will nurse a second kick & pull away from the breast, then look me in the eye and give me a huge gummy grin. It's kinda funny except for the stretched nipple part when she pulls away, I could live w/o that. I hope some of the advice from the forum helps. Best of luck

Yes come to think of it it did start after the excersaucer! She likes to bounce everywhere!

My dd kicks too, and HARD sometimes- she is only 7 weeks, though, no exersaucer or bouncy anything yet for her. I also try to hold her feet and that just makes her cry. She also pushes off the chair (or couch) arm if I sit too close to it, and then of course she can't reach the boob, which also makes her cry. yeesh.