Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Allergies? Go to formula?

Unhappy Allergies? Go to formula?

Please help! I’m about at the end of my rope. I don’t know why my son is squirming, pulling off and crying so much during feeding. I’ve been reading and posting all over this site trying to figure it out. First I thought it was because he got frustrated when the flow slowed down. But then a few times when he pulled off there was still milk dribbling from my nipple. So I thought, maybe the flow is too fast. Now I’ve been noticing that when I burp him he has man sized burps. He’s also started crying SO much during feeding. This morning he pulled off after 3 minutes and started crying in a way that made my heart ache. Then he did what sounded like 3 huge, wet poops. But when I checked his diapers, there was nothing there. It was all gas. I’ve been having trouble getting him to sleep during the day. And twice today he was happily playing on his back and then, out of the blue, his face got red, it looked like he stopped breathing, and his arms and legs came up like the falling reflex had been activated. Then he started to wail. I have never had any food allergies and neither does my husband. Could he be allergic to something I’m eating and it’s giving him horrible gas? How do I know if it’s something I’m doing or eating? Should I switch to formula?

Default Re: Allergies? Go to formula?

Just have a quick comment, what ever your bb has formula will only make it worse. I've never had an experience with food allergies, so I won't give you any advise on the subject, but formula it's way stronger than BM.

I wouldn't rush to assume there are allergies here -- especially with no family history, it really isn't likely.

Perhaps reflux? He clearly is having some pain and discomfort, so do be reassured that your instincts are on target that there is a problem here. Just don't be so quick to blame the breastfeeding, know what I mean?

I like this (reliable, but non-LLL) link for problem-solving this kind of fussy-at-the-breast behavior:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...problemsolving

I would also mention that the "man-sized" burps are not unusual and don't signify a problem. It is AMAZING how loudly some tiny babies can belch!

That little episode you describe, of the red-face and sudden wailing while he was on his back, sounds to me like reflux -- basically, baby heartburn. There's some info about that on the link above.

Do some detective work and let us know your thoughts.

--Rebecca

Hi Samantha!
    (((((HUGS))))) Things are going to be okay! You are such a good mommy! I had something similar with my DD, but it was FORMULA that was doing it to her (a certain brand, anyway), and it broke my heart!

Does DS get a 'hard' tummy when he's squirming around? Does it seem like he's straining to poo? You may be right--he probably is having a reaction to something you're eating (tho not necessarily an allergy).
    Here's what my momma told me (or, a crash course in anatomy); the ascending (going up) colon is on the right side of the abdomen, and the descending colon is on the left. So, if you rub his little belly clockwise in a circle, it can help to push the bubbles out. And you could try some baby gas drops-- I hated having to give it to her, but it helped my DD when the formula she was reacting to was working its way out of her system.
    Also; Do you consume a lot of dairy? Fresh fruits & veggies? If someone has a sensitivity, any of these can cause gas. I know that's what milk does to me!!!
    According to my LC, the only way to know for sure if baby is reacting to something you're eating is to start eliminating 'sensitive' foods for a few weeks, and then add them back in one at a time.
    According to my pedi, basically whatever gives you gas may give him (or her) gas. I was told to stay away from fresh veggies especially if I wanted to prevent gas. Try keeping a food diary, and (you will want to look up this data) I was told to count back 2 meals to see what I've eaten that may have given DD gas.
    Trust your mommy instincts! You know DS better than anybody, and are his best advocate.
    And please don't settle for an "It's just gas," answer from your pedi if DS keeps acting like he's in serious pain (definately make that call if he doesn't start improving). Your child's Dr may be paid by your insurance co, but you pay those premiums, so they are really working for you!

You can do it! Keep us posted!
    Allie

Sounds like reflux. My DD did the SAME thing, especially the part about her laying on her back. Being flat and horizontal made it worse.

thrush can make them pull off in pain
    does he have white patches in his mouth?

So sorry you're going thru this! Maybe gas? My son had GAS like crazy! We were up with him seemed like all night sometimes. And at 23 months, he's still pretty gassy, tho there was a big improvement once he could move around because then he could get it out. Before they can move, it just sits in their little tummies

I got a LOT of advice about changing my diet, but I never found a change in my eating that helped. But I would definitely NOT switch to formula--it may be much worse!

2 things helped us with gas: 1st and foremost: the big birthing ball--you know, a 62" gym ball. We had it for labor and used it way more after. Sitting and bouncing him gently relieved a lot of his discomfort.
    2nd: gripe water. I know their are lots of cautions out there about it (and you should listen and consider them all!), but we wouldn't have survived w/o it. The american and canadian versions are full of chemicals and I've heard not so good. The Woodward's gripe water (British) has a few simple natural ingredients and it goes bad, so you have to refrig and dump it within a week or so. It's the greatest. Recommended by English mommies and nannies! My pediatrician didn't recommend it, but said we could try it if we wanted.

I don't know much about reflux, but that sounds likely too. Have you tried changing nursing positions? Sometimes at night I nursed him flat on my back with him on top of me. It's a little awkward, but I think it relieved the pressure on his belly and he would finally sleep that way.

Best of luck to you. It will get easier
    Last edited by Ang's Mom; May 19th, 2006 at 08:26 PM.

Cool Re: Allergies? Go to formula?

Wow. Thank you everybody for your responses. It's amazing how an internet hug and a reassurance that I'm doing okay as a mom can be so amazingly touching and helpful. thank you Allie B. So here is what is going on. Yesterday, we had absolutely no problems. That makes me wonder if it is something I'm eating. But I also made sure that when I was feeding him that his legs were way lower that his head. I turned my boppy to the side so that his bottom was able to slip down to my lap. Since I was feeding him in a more upright position and he seemed to do okay but that could have been a coinsidence. Do you think that could mean it was a case of reflux since I was making it harder for the stuff to come backup? Ang's Mom. Thank you soooooo much for the advice of the birthing ball. I had one down in the basement and now it's up in the livingroom. I can't believe how INCREDIBLE that works! I talked to my sister in law and she said that her doctor decided her son had reflux by giving him medicine. No tests or anything. When it got better he said it must be reflux, keep taking the med. Well, if popping him on meds is going to be what peds do, then I want to rule out anything else first. So I'm going to start keeping a journal of what I'm eating and do the count back 2 meal thing. I do eat a lot of dairy and fresh veggies so maybe that's it. Someone suggested thrush. He does have one white patch on the middle of his tongue, but I thought that was normal. Should I try to scrape it off or something? So does a food diary sound like a good place to start?

Hi Samantha!
    Glad to hear things are going better!
    I wouldn't try scraping anything! Thrush is basically a yeast infection. And don't let that freak you out-- yeast infections can occur anywhere that is warm and moist-- ears, nose, mouth.
    I can't comment on a baby having thrush myself, but I'm sure there are other mommies here that can. I thought I was carrying thrush myself (d/t antibiotics after my cesarean), and got nipple cream from my OB. I had burning and redness, and using the cream for a few days cleared it right up. I've heard that mom and baby can pass it back and forth (Pedi didn't want to treat her right away), but its been over a month now, and DD hasn't had any symptoms.
    And I think you're probably on to something as far as postioning while nursing goes. I found that keeping DDs rear lower than her head helped a lot with preventing spit-ups, and she burped a lot better. We've also found that she's swallowing a lot of air with bottles, so we're going to try some different ones soon.
    And, speaking of gas! I had a couple of bratwursts at a cousin's grad party on Saturday, and DS was SO gassy yesterday! Poor kid!
    Another thing I do for the toots is to lay DD across my legs & roll her back and forth-- that little bit of pressure seems to help her (just don't do this immediately after feeding! It may all end up on your lap or the floor! Icky!)

Keep us posted! Allie