Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My bf'd newborn's mood seems to have changed

Question My bf'd newborn's mood seems to have changed

First time poster - hello all.

I had my first child 3 weeks ago, and have been breastfeeding pretty successfully. I don't feel a "let down", never have, so I always just assume everything's working properly. He seems to swallow air, because I can hear him gulping and it doesnt sound like a liquid gulp.
    He has pooped once in the past 7 days, which was a colossal diaper fill, he's very gassy with very very smelly farts, and in the past couple of days he's cried more than he has since he's been born. I am trying to be as patient as I can be, but I'm starting to wonder if it's a problem with the way I breastfeed (I'm very large-breasted and typically use the same feeding position) or if it's my diet, or the frequency, or what... I'm starting to feel very confused and am almost thinking it's time to start pumping, and maybe daddy feeding him a bottle with my milk will make things better. I don't want to give up, but I am running out of steam.

help!

New Momma B

Default Re: My bf'd newborn's mood seems to have changed

Welcome Momma B!

Congrats on your new arrival.

You seem concerned about several things. What is your biggest worry?

Has he been in for a weight check yet? What was his lowest weight? What is his weight now?

How frequently is he nursing?

How many wet diapers does he have in 24 hours? When was the last time that he pooped?

You seem concerned about several things. What is your biggest worry?

Has he been in for a weight check yet? What was his lowest weight? What is his weight now?

How frequently is he nursing?

How many wet diapers does he have in 24 hours? When was the last time that he pooped?

when he was born on 6-14 he was 7/8... at his first weight check on 6-19 he was 6/11. his second and most recent weight check on 6-26 he was 7/4.
    He's nursing every 3-4 hours for about 15-20 minutes on each breast.
    He wets about 8-10 diapers a day, and has gone 6 days without pooping, now after that 6, he pooped this morning which was 2 days after his last. i've heard that breastfed babies can go weeks without pooping, so if there is validity behind this, then the non-daily-pooping is not a concern. he seems very gassy, more gassy than other newborns i've been in contact with. and what's worse, his farts really really smell, like adult strength farts!!!
    sometimes at night he'll sleep fine for 10-15 minutes or so and then just wake up crying out of nowhere.
    i guess my biggest worry is his sudden crying bursts. sometimes they only last minutes, other will last for an hour or so.

then sometimes i just think i'm overthinking things and need to relax.
    that's probably half the battle.

Hey there,
    I have a four week old and yesterday he was very gassy, spitting up constantly, and crying a lot. I attricute it to something that I ate.
    I can't help you with the feeding issue, however, I don't feel the "letdown" either, but as far as the gas, I have had that problem with my newborn. Today he is doing much better, but I ate really bland foods yesterday to try to calm his stomach down. Keep an eye on what you eat. My rule of thumb, most of the time, is if I know it will make me gassy, then I don't eat it because it will probably make him gassy as well.
    Good luck...
    Hang in there.

Try Mylicon drops- you can use them on a newborn they are very safe and work wonders for gas. I keep one bottle next to my bed and another in the kitchen!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Talking legendary farts

(new member too! glad to find these forums!)

my four week old woke me in the night with some monster farts. he's been gassy since day one and we're figuring out my new dietary restrictions, but MAN did he let go last night. if he'd been a balloon, he would have zoomed around the room. took me a few minutes in the dark of the night to figure out what the sound was! *giggle*

one thing that's working well for us is chamomile ginger tea. i drink it iced all day (well, we also add mother's milk tea since i'm trying to make more milk) and the chamomile is definitely having a soothing effect on the sparklet's tummy.