Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cord falling off???

Default Re: Cord falling off???

we were also told no alcohol-that it wasnt necessary.their skin is too sensitive to have the alcohol on it everyday (so i was told, its been so long i remember the explanation) But I know each DR is different. I know my mom used on me and im fine. We were just told to keep it dry and it will come off-and eventually it did! Hopefully its not too much longer for your little one!!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Thanks for all your responses. We have been getting unerneath it quite well, but no progress. I am going to decrease the amount of times we use alcohol throughout the day (only doing it one-two times) to see if that helps. It looks like it wants to come off, but just keeps hanging on. We're just ready to give him a real bath and he needs to move up a size in diapers, but we can't until the cord falls off. Anyhow, thanks for all of your responses.

My daughter's came off around 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. It had seeped a little around the edges and that would stick to her onsie. No infection though so we didn't worry, just tried to keep as dry as we could.

Anyway, I went to change her onsie once and when I took off the onsie, I took off her cord. I've never felt so bad and panicked in my life! They put silver nitrate on but that didn't help. We ended up having to put a non-stick gauze over it with very little tape, and every so often we'd clean it out with alcohol to help dry it up. Within half a week it was all dried up and she still has what looks like a little bit of dried blood in the one corner of it, but other than that, she has a cute little belly button!

You truly hear differing things about the cord. My favorite was during an appointment when the nurse came in and told us we needed to really get the alcohol down in there to get it dried up (and gave the impression we needed to get it off ASAP), then the dr came in and said, you can use alcohol or not--it will eventually come off. The funny thing is they have been in practice together for something like 25 years.

I never did anything to the cord and it fell off under a week. It scared me when it did!!! There was a slight discharge for a few days (pedi said it was normal).

Funny thing happened though.. I put the cord on the nightstand while I was finishing changing his diaper and my silly little doggie snuck up on the bed and ate it off the nightstand.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

wow.. my sons fell off within a week

Quote Originally Posted by MommyLuvsU View Post
    Funny thing happened though.. I put the cord on the nightstand while I was finishing changing his diaper and my silly little doggie snuck up on the bed and ate it off the nightstand.
    LOL That's funny gave me a great laugh I can just see that. I would have freaked out eww gotta love our other family members KWIM!

Becky

Well after 6 weeks and 6 days, my son's cord finally fell off. I almost made the 7 week record. Anyhow, thanks for all your thoughts. We did have to get silver nitrate put on it to help it along as I think it would have been on for life otherwise. Cheers.

I was reading up about the alcohol, and it was shown that it didn't make it dry up any faster. In some cases air dryed cords came off faster....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Kayla's cord took a couple weeks to fall off. I dont remember exactly how long because it was 6 years ago! But Abby's fell off in 7 days. I cleaned it a few times a day with alcohol. I used the little alcohol prep pads they use at the hospital. I bought a box of those at Target after I ran out of the ones I brought home from the hospital. I didnt worry too much about cleaning it with Alcohol because I read that it really doesnt make much of a difference. I just made sure it stayed clean and dry. I used the alcohol more to clean the sticky stuff that stuck to her skin around the sides. I dont remember any smell. A few days later I freaked out because I noticed a little bit of blood, I kept calling the doctor and getting the voicemail! But then I looked in the magazine I had gotten in the hospital because I saw a section in it about cord care and it said that a tiny bit of blood was totally normal and to just clean it and put a little ointment on it.

Now she has a cute little belly button that looks just like her daddys...like everything else!