Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cord falling off???

Default Cord falling off???

Hey all,

I have a four week old and his cord still has not fallen off. It is not infected, but just seems to be hanging on. Anyone else have a long time cord on their little ones? Any ideas on how to get it to fall off?

Just hanging, leslie

Default Re: Cord falling off???

well my sons wasnt on for quite that long, his was almost 3 weeks. If it doesnt seem infected it should be fine. It will probably have an odor to it anyway, but Im sure you know that. As long as you are keeping it dry, it will eventually fall off. And when it does, there will definately be an odor but not one of an infection.
    Your LO just doesnt want to let go of that last little bit of momma!! j/k

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Pretty gross, isn't it? It wil come off soon I admit I poked at both my kids' cords a bit because I wanted it off, but it didn't seem to help any. Congrats on your new arrival!

Quote Originally Posted by hlstevesn View Post
    well my sons wasnt on for quite that long, his was almost 3 weeks. If it doesnt seem infected it should be fine. It will probably have an odor to it anyway, but Im sure you know that. As long as you are keeping it dry, it will eventually fall off. And when it does, there will definately be an odor but not one of an infection.
    Your LO just doesnt want to let go of that last little bit of momma!! j/k
    so you kept it dry? we were tld to put alcohol on it every diaper change, so that's what we've been doing, but doesn't seem to be helping. thanks

I put alcohol on our lo's bellybutton and it hung on for quite a while (can't remember exactly how long). The doc told us we weren't pulling it out far enough and getting alcohol down inside (kwim?) because it was still a little raw down in there. She said to stop being so gentle with it (lol).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

DS's cord hung around until 7 weeks (gross, I know!). We were wondering if maybe he would set some sort of world record by being the first kid walking and talking and still having the cord. The ped had told us to put alcohol on it and we did - they also put the purple stuff on it again at the 4 and 6 week appts to keep it clean. We were told not to pull at it, that could make it get infected. Just clean around the edge with a q-tip (we found those work better than cotton balls). If you are using alcohol and it hangs on for awhile, the skin might get irritated (not infected) from getting dried out. It might be a little red, but not painful, swollen, stinky, or gooey. Let me know if your lo's beats our record!!

My son had the same problem. I forget how long it was on there since he was born in 1998 but I swore that thing would never fall off. I deligently cleaned with alcohol it was at least 5 weeks though. He came home after 2 week stay in NICU with it on some are just stubborn I guess but Now that I think about it I am pretty sure I bathed him with me in the bathtub instead of sponge bath so that could have been it too but hey I was 18 and a first time mommy lol. Although it never got infected it did start to get smelly a bit eww gross!

My kiddos cord came off at around 2 weeks but with this child the hospital told us no alchol then our ped told us yes to use it. Now though since the cord came off we had an umbilical granuloma that is still drying up. We have had 3 treatments of silver nitrate and a consult with a sugeon. Luckily it responded much better this last treatment time as far as healing and shrinkage go so no surgery needed. Yeah!! Anyone else have this and are the belly buttons normal? I wonder if our cord came off too early and that is the cause perhaps??
    Melissa
    Kylie (7/11/00)
    Tyler (9/18/01)
    Trace (5/12/07) Allergic to: Wheat, Milk, Egg, Fish, Peanuts, Peas

My dd's came off at little past 3 weeks, but I researched it quite a bit because it took so long and I read that it can take as long as 8 weeks (on occasion longer). The new studies show to only clean with alcohol once a day and to make sure you clean "down under" the cord. They say that keeping it moist with alcohol keeps it on longer?!?

My son's cord finally came off at about three-and-a-half weeks, after I followed the same advice NorasMommy's doctor gave her. I asked my sister-in-law why she thought it was taking so long, so she watched me change him and clean the cord, and she said I was way too gentle . I felt so mean at first, but she was right--when we started pulling it up a little further and really getting under there with the cotton swab and alcohol, it dried out and came off. And it didn't seem to bother him at all when we did it.