Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How are they supposed to feel...?

Default Re: How are they supposed to feel...?

...there is a sticky in administrative questions..I would link for you but I am not smart enough

I wanted to add, that aside from a difference in feeling, you will know by the length of time your lo nurses, and from whether or not he/she is satisfied after a feeding. Of course, still keep an eye on wet/poopy diapers! Isn't it wonderful to not have that rockhard feeling?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Even though mine feel softer, I know my supply is still plentiful because I still see milk dripping or even sometimes spraying when LO lets go of the nipple mid-feeding (still have some OALD/OS). So, the softness is definitely not an indication of lack of supply! Isn't it nice when you can feed your baby and yet have "normal" breasts again!

Quote Originally Posted by tracy scotland View Post
    You will soon get into the habit of feeling your boob...honestly..I do it in public and don't realise till siomeone looks at me funny!
    Here, here! I do it too. I usually check myself discreetly, sort of brushing my arm against my boob. But then sometimes I catch myself squeezing or actually reaching into my shirt. I doubt the first thing people think when they see me do it is, "Oh, she must be a nursing mama." They probably think I'm a pervert!

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    I wanted to add, that aside from a difference in feeling, you will know by the length of time your lo nurses, and from whether or not he/she is satisfied after a feeding. Of course, still keep an eye on wet/poopy diapers! Isn't it wonderful to not have that rockhard feeling?
    Yes, also what I would have said. Your LO will let you know if he's still hungry! And babies get to be more efficient nursers over time, so that they don't need to nurse quite as long to get the same amount of milk. Haley can nurse as little as 5 minutes sometimes and be totally satisfied. The more you get to know your baby, the more in tune you will be with nursing needs as far as amount of time and hungry cues.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Thank you everyone that has responded. I am glad that it is not a milk supply issue, and yes boy does it feel good to have my breasts back! I was really lopsided for a couple of weeks which made it really uncomfortable and just last night everything seemed to sort itself out!

Here's a great link on this subject:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Wink Re: How are they supposed to feel...?

...and what about when they're empty but baby is still sucking?

my baby boy will suck and suck and suck for hours. falls asleep often, wakes when i try to take my boob back and sucks like 'hey! no wait, i'm still here' but i know he's getting nothing by then because he's not swallowing.

in the meantime my other breast is leaking everywhere, waiting for him to come and enjoy the bounty.

so how do you know when you're empty? is there a different feeling for this? i don't think i can feel the let down, but may be beginning to recognize the different sensations.

Quote Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
    ...and what about when they're empty but baby is still sucking?

my baby boy will suck and suck and suck for hours. falls asleep often, wakes when i try to take my boob back and sucks like 'hey! no wait, i'm still here' but i know he's getting nothing by then because he's not swallowing.

in the meantime my other breast is leaking everywhere, waiting for him to come and enjoy the bounty.

so how do you know when you're empty? is there a different feeling for this? i don't think i can feel the let down, but may be beginning to recognize the different sensations.
    Technically they are never empty but I know what you mean! Sounds like LO is going through a growth spurt perfect time for it and they seem to want to be on there all the time! This is telling you body to make more milk so letting him hang on is exactly what you want and should be doing GREAT JOB!. It is also comforting to your LO to just suck. You can always pump or just let it leak depending on your situation. If you feel that your LO should be drinking and is not effectly sucking you can always offer the second side as well.
    hope this helps!
    Becky