Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: eating less, please help

Default eating less, please help

I EP so I know how much my DD usually eats. She is five months old and usually eats between 5 and 6 oz, 6 times a day. For the past three days I am lucky if she will finsih 5 oz and today she never ate more than 4oz (and she is not eating any more frequently). She will purse her lips and move her head around if I try to get her to eat anymore. She also is sleeping more today than usual. When she is awake she is her normal self, happy and laughing, and she doesn't have a fever or seem in pain. She had 1 poop this morning and five wet diapers so far (I am sure she will have one more, at least, since it is only 7 pm here)....this is my first baby so I am paranoid about everything....do you think I should call the dr, or is she just having a few days where she isn't as hungry as usual? TIA

Smile Re: eating less, please help

We have had days like that as well, and have not run into any issues...yet. Did she just come out of a growth spurt? If she is acting like herself, then I would not worry. At her age babies become more aware of their surroundings, and sometimes the newness of it all can be more interesting than eating. I am sure that it will not last, just don't stress, that makes it worse for everyone. Feed her when she seems hungry, and she most likely will pick back up to what is normal for her before long.

I have to remind myself that babies are people too, with good days, bad days, off days, on days. Some days I eat more than others...so why wouldn't they?

Enjoy her, don't be paranoid...it is just a waste of valuable time!

Default Re: eating less, please help

Sounds pretty Normal to me, as long as dd is having at least 6 wet diapers I don't forsee a problem. You know for infants sleep is just as important as food. So, if she's sleeping more, her body is using that to grow and nourish itself. Babies go through phases, I don't think you need to call the ped. Btw you are not paranoid, just a good mom. GL

Thanks for the advice...I keep trying to remind myself the same thing, that people eat more or less on certain days too....I did buy a new nipple with a medium flow instead of slow last night and that helped, so perhaps it is just that she is so interested in everything going on that she doesn't want to stay still and suck on a bottle for more than 15 min....thannks again for all the advice!

Glad to hear my son isn't the only one being a stubborn eater sometimes!!! He goes through a day or two worrying me because he isn't eating much (but acting fine). I sometimes wonder if his teeth are moving then?? Being 5 1/2 mos the teeth are probably getting ready sometime soon.
    Everything besides drinking is interesting to him. The ceiling fan, my hair, his sister....

At five months you hit the distraction thing. Baby does want to slow down and eat. I would try offering more bm during the evening hours because a baby that nurses will make up for missed feedings in the quiet times at night. My son would skip almost all day feedings and make them up at bedtime. I learned that it was normal behavior on this forum. hth