Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are they supposed to feel...?

Default How are they supposed to feel...?

My LO is 6 weeks old and I am still struggling with BF and I am determined to get through this. The last few weeks my breasts feld engorged, and hard and full of milk, especially one side over the other. Today they both feel soft, there is milk but is this how they are supposed to feel or does this signify a low milk supply? Hopefully it is the former...?

Default Re: How are they supposed to feel...?

I was actually wondering the same thing! My LO is also 6 weeks and my breasts aren't as engorged and hard as they have been. I was thinking my body was finally adjusting to the correct amount of milk the baby needs, but wasn't 100 percent sure. Would like to hear what more exp. mom's think on this.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

glad I am not the only one, like you said I hope my body is finally adjusting. would love to hear from other mothers!

I think you guys hit it on the nose! your body IS adjusting to its new supply and demand routine. They will become more soft like they were pre-milk, but at times such as letdown or if you havent nursed in several hours (especially in the beginning) they will become engorged. After a few months you probably wont have too many issues with becoming engorged like that. It will get better!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

OMG - I can't believe I have come to this point, it has been a rocky road till now! The question I have now is usually my breasts were engorged and when they got soft I knew he had enough- how do you tell now if he is full?
    thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    OMG - I can't believe I have come to this point, it has been a rocky road till now! The question I have now is usually my breasts were engorged and when they got soft I knew he had enough- how do you tell now if he is full?
    thanks so much!

LOL thank you for asking the questions that have been on my mind!!! Your LO was born the day before mine, so guess we're in the same time frame with BF'ing.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Yes! Your body is starting to switch from hormonal production to demand production. Meaning, you're not just making milk because you gave birth. You're making milk because baby is suckling and "demanding" your body to make milk.

I've often wondered about this too! Thanks for the info- I notice that I only become engorged if I go too long between feedings, especially at night now that LO is sleeping a little bit longer. It's a relief to know that they should feel soft the rest of the time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    thanks so much!

You will soon get into the habit of feeling your boob...honestly..I do it in public and don't realise till siomeone looks at me funny! even though they are not engorged..you will still feel a slight difference between when they are full/empty. My whole breast doesn't go hard when full...but I can feel fullness in the centre IYKWIM...that is gone when empty and your LO will be full and milky

Thanks so much for giving the explanation of "how do you know they are empty!" On a separate note, where do I find the list of abbreviations used on this forum?