Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on food for mommy...

Default Question on food for mommy...

Perhaps this is a silly question:

During pregnancy, I didn't eat certain foods (such as meats cooked rare, deli meats, raw cheeses, etc.) Should I still be limiting those foods while breastfeeding?

Also, I know that babies under the age of one should not have honey. But, as a breastfeeding mother, I can still have honey, right?

Thanks for your help...and sorry if this seems trivial or naive.

Default Re: Question on food for mommy...

I have not limited what I eat while breastfeeding except for caffiene! I still eat honey and the other things you mentioned. I have never heard that you should not eat these items while BF.

Here's a great resource with all sorts of info about foods and nutrition while breastfeeding:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/index.html
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Unless your baby seems to be affected by certain things in your diet, no, you don't need to avoid anything. Some babies have problems if mom eats dairy, broccoli, garlic, various things..... I haven't had problems with anything. I eat whatever I want. Only things I limit are caffeine(I allow myself two cups of coffee per day, same as I did while pregannt) and alcohol(I allow myself two drinks in a day, if I drink at all).

I limit because of food allergies in my LO, however I've heard that you should steer clear of peanuts and peanut butter while bfing as well as while pg. I did, I know people who did not and their babies are fine

I agree with SubliminalDarkness. You can eat anything you want, but of course there are going to bee some things that might not agree with your baby's tummy. For instance I've found out I shouldn't eat Thai food because then my baby has like diarrhea!!! I guess it is just matter of trying!
    Good Luck!

Married to the love of my life Eric! 10-11-03
    Mommy to Erica! 03-05-07
    9 lbs 8 oz and 22 inches!!!
    for 2 years!!!
    Mommy to Andres! 05-12-10
    9 lbs 10 oz and 21 1/4 inches!!!
    and hopefully for another 2 years

As a mom to a peanut allergic baby, I would also avoid peanuts, even if most babies of peanut-eating moms turn out just fine. Trust me, it stinks to be the mom of the one who ends up with the allergy.

The fish restrictions that they recommend for pregnant women are for nursing mothers as well (no raw fish, limited amounts of tuna, no shark etc.) because the risk of illness with the raw fish and the mercury are still a concern.

Question question for peanut allergy mommy

Quote Originally Posted by ~Em~ View Post
    As a mom to a peanut allergic baby, I would also avoid peanuts, even if most babies of peanut-eating moms turn out just fine. Trust me, it stinks to be the mom of the one who ends up with the allergy.
    when did you find out your baby is allergic? was it while you were breastfeeding or once you introduced solid foods (and peanuts)? i've always wondered about this.

are you sensitive to peanuts?

Unhappy Re: Question on food for mommy...

we found out the hard way that our baby is sensitive to onions. after being home for a week or two, we went out on errands and i ate a big plate of onion rings. his little system is only just now recovering (he's almost 5 weeks) and his poopies have finally gone back to the 'right' color.

we eliminated milk products too in the process of eliminating onions from my diet because i was eating a lot of cheese and ice cream. once his little systems are back to normal, we will slowly re-introduce milk products again to see if he's still sensitive.

luckily, from what i understand, these sensitivities are short lived and after the baby is a couple months old, you should be able to eat what you want.