Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Perhaps a silly question...

Default Perhaps a silly question...

I am a first time mother and breastfeeding my daughter. So far, things are going well - although it is a little frustrating sometimes not knowing exactly how much she is eating. She has lots of pee diapers, so I am assuming she is getting what she needs.

On a totally different note, while I was pregnant, there were a lot of things that I didn't eat (rare meats, deli meats, raw cheeses, etc.) Is it ok for me to begin eating those things again?

Also (and this may be the silly question), I know that babies under the age of one should not have honey. But, when breastfeeding, it is ok for me to have honey, right?

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Perhaps a silly question...

You can eat anything you like while nursing as long as it doesn't bother your baby! Here is an article you might find helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/avoid.html

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Default Re: Perhaps a silly question...

Getting started breastfeeding can be a much bigger challenge than we anticipate. Since you don't know exactly how much your baby is getting, you have to watch your baby, which is a good thing. In the long run, paying attention to your baby and following his or her cues will help you to be a good mom. As your baby gets older, you will know when something isn't right even if there aren't other signs b/c of a change in nursing patterns. And, right now, as your feed your baby on cue, you will notice days of high frequency during a growth spurt and know that she needs your complete attention on those days. Hope things continue to go well!