Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: I cant do this anymore...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22

    Unhappy I cant do this anymore...

    This is going to be a long one. I have wrote about these issues before and have tried all the suggestions but nothing is seeming to work. I'm gonna loose it! My DS is 6 weeks old. At the hospital the nurse had me try to latch 2 times before she threw a nipple shield at me. Now I cant get him off of it. The nurse told me that my nipple flattens out when he tries to latch but I don't see it. Now DS wants nothing to do with BF without. I really want to get rid of this thing.

    I'm sitting here crying my eyes out because it just dawned on me that I don't even know how to get him to latch without. I live on a small island and there isn't any LC here that can help me. I try what I think is the right way but it doesn't work. DS was 7lb 10oz at birth, he dropped down to 7lb 8oz so the doc here told me to start giving him rice cereal. (I posted this before and stopped due to your suggestions), I decide to give him 2, 2oz bottles of formula a day till my next weigh in which was 3 days. He came out at 7lb 15oz. Something is going right. I don't want to formula feed so I stooped that. He seems to still be gaining. Well now he hasn't pooped in over a week ant the doc says that is ok He is still wetting and passing gas so he is fie.. That doesn't sound right to me.

    I was reading an article about forceful let down, it listed a bunch of symptoms that sound like my kid... But I also read something that said if he isn't pooping at his age he needs more milk. So if I'm having forceful let down how can he not be getting enough milk? He is constantly at my breast. He wants to eat all the time.How can he always be hungry? I also have a problem keeping him awake while feeding...I have pumped and given it to him in the bottle, he loves it! He can take down 4oz no prob and e fat and happy. He will even keep it down. The next feeding I can fight with him and the shield and then have him throw most of it up after.. I think my number one problem is this shield.


    What do I do?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bryan, Texas
    Posts
    4,260

    Default Re: I cant do this anymore...

    to you mama! I don't have any experience with the nipple shield...so hopefully someone can come along and help you with that. But, I wanted to tell you that 6 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt. The wanting to eat constantly is TOTALLY NORMAL and should subside in a few days.

    As for the not pooping at this age...that is normal as well. An exclusively BF baby can go 10 or more days without having a poop and still be ok. Hugs to you and keep with it...it will and does get easier.

    Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland


    **Leslie**

    Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    N. TX
    Posts
    1,231

    Default Re: I cant do this anymore...

    Well, I will start by saying I am no expert and I have only been doing this 4 weeks so you are technically more experienced that I am, however, I did notice some things.

    One, the constantly eating thing, from what I have read the growth spurts are at 10 days, 3 weeks and 6 weeks, so looks like you are smack in the middle of one, and I have been through two so far, it does feel like you might as well duct tape him to you because he won't get his fill!

    Two, as for the nipple shields, I was/am in the same boat. I started using one and he got where he wouldn't feed without one because it was easier. I think it was easier because of the overactive let down and it slows the flow so he doesn't choke on the spray. I have read on here that if that is a problem, a little pumping before a feed will help if that is the reason why he likes the shield. I just started trying to wean this week as well and some feeds it is no problem and some he will scream until I give it back. He usually gets upset when the nipple is flat because he is so hungry and can't get a grip to feed. Maybe try weaning when he is not as hungry, or try getting your nipples hard enough for him to grab it, ice or something. That is just my opinion, so definately check with one of the LLCs on here for further input.

    I am sorry you seem so upset and it sounds like you feel a little isolated. From what I can tell everyone has these feelings, and that is a main reason why I love this site, nothing you or I feel is unique as there is at least one other person that has felt it before on here and knows what you are going through.

    Best of luck, I hope things get better!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: I cant do this anymore...

    Quote Originally Posted by ShilohsMom View Post
    to you mama! I don't have any experience with the nipple shield...so hopefully someone can come along and help you with that. But, I wanted to tell you that 6 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt. The wanting to eat constantly is TOTALLY NORMAL and should subside in a few days.

    As for the not pooping at this age...that is normal as well. An exclusively BF baby can go 10 or more days without having a poop and still be ok. Hugs to you and keep with it...it will and does get easier.

    Leslie

    I wish the constant want to eat just started, it has been that way since day one. I barely have time to feed my 2 year old let alone myself. I cant get anything done cause he is always wanting to eat

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bryan, Texas
    Posts
    4,260

    Default Re: I cant do this anymore...

    I know I may get flogged for saying this here...but do you think that a pacifier might help? Some babies have such a strong need to suck that a paci can help once in a while to give mom a break. Just a thought
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland


    **Leslie**

    Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: I cant do this anymore...

    Quote Originally Posted by ShilohsMom View Post
    I know I may get flogged for saying this here...but do you think that a pacifier might help? Some babies have such a strong need to suck that a paci can help once in a while to give mom a break. Just a thought
    He takes one but whenever he gets to the breast he acts like he hasnt ate in months. I think its more hunger than a sucking need. I thought that too, thats why we tried it,

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,900

    Default Re: I cant do this anymore...

    Quote Originally Posted by millers4 View Post
    I'm sitting here crying my eyes out because it just dawned on me that I don't even know how to get him to latch without. I live on a small island and there isn't any LC here that can help me. I try what I think is the right way but it doesn't work.
    It's tough to go it on your own without support! You're doing GREAT!

    Have you tried any of the tips included in this (non-LLL) link?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...d.html#weaning
    Does it seem like there is anything there that would work for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by millers4 View Post
    DS was 7lb 10oz at birth, he dropped down to 7lb 8oz so the doc here told me to start giving him rice cereal. (I posted this before and stopped due to your suggestions), I decide to give him 2, 2oz bottles of formula a day till my next weigh in which was 3 days. He came out at 7lb 15oz. Something is going right. I don't want to formula feed so I stooped that. He seems to still be gaining.
    Great! Keep us updated.

    Quote Originally Posted by millers4 View Post
    Well now he hasn't pooped in over a week ant the doc says that is ok He is still wetting and passing gas so he is fie.. That doesn't sound right to me.
    Actually, this can happen at around 6 weeks of age or so. Here's some more info:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bm.html

    Did your doctor tell you anything to look for (call doctor if you see "x")?

    Quote Originally Posted by millers4 View Post
    I was reading an article about forceful let down, it listed a bunch of symptoms that sound like my kid...
    Could you tell us a bit more about that? What symptoms sounded familiar to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by millers4 View Post
    But I also read something that said if he isn't pooping at his age he needs more milk. So if I'm having forceful let down how can he not be getting enough milk? He is constantly at my breast. He wants to eat all the time.How can he always be hungry? I also have a problem keeping him awake while feeding...I have pumped and given it to him in the bottle, he loves it! He can take down 4oz no prob and e fat and happy. He will even keep it down. The next feeding I can fight with him and the shield and then have him throw most of it up after.. I think my number one problem is this shield.
    Not pooping at this age doesn't neccessarily mean he isn't getting enough milk (see link I posted earlier in this message).

    When you say fight with the shield, what do you mean by that? What happens with your baby and the shield?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: I cant do this anymore...

    It sounds like you could use one! You are doing a great job in trying to get help.

    The previous posters have given you some correct information on the 6 week growth spurt. This is baby's way of preparing your body for the fact that they're getting bigger and need more milk. Milk production is based on supply and demand ... unfortunately, they decide to demand an increase in a few days, and not just very gradually!

    I don't have any first hand experience with a nipple shield, but I did struggle with flat nipples as well. What I found to be the absolute best was the "nipple sandwich" technique.
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul00p39.html
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVFebMar04p3.html (I think this article gives a better tutorial on the technique)

    Are you using a silicone or rubber nipple shield?

    About the poop issue ... yep, BF babies can poop as often as every feed or take as long as 10 days between. Both are totally normal. If your baby ends up being on the long side, prepare for a major poop-splosion!

    You seem concerned about forceful let down. What sort of signals is your baby giving you that gives you these concerns? Let down (forceful or otherwise) is not necessarily an indicator of milk production. There are many women who never feel let down or have a weak let down, but still have lots of milk. However, without the let down reflex, baby must rely entirely on sucking/compressing the breast to get the milk out, which is a lot of work!

    You don't have to answer these questions publicly, but I'm just trying to give you some tips. When you pump, does your nipple protrude out? I found with my flat nipples that pumping for a few minutes before putting baby to breast really really helped to a) draw out the nipple, b) relieve engorgement (it's much harder to latch onto a full breast than a soft breast), and c) tame some of the over-active let down.

    I have a copy of The Breastfeeding Answer Book. I know it has tips for getting baby off the nipple shield. If you'd like I can look it up for you. It is possible to get off the shield though! Here's one story: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJanFeb02p11.html

    Here's another

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,048

    Default Re: I cant do this anymore...

    My child is three years old, so I don't remember things that clearly, but the constant feeding... I think it was like that until she could sit up. Maybe not that long, but I basically wore her like an article of clothing or something.. or like I was still pregnant only she was on the outside. And I did have overactive let-down but never realized it until we were almost clear of it. She would nurse and puke, nurse and puke. The hard let-down made her sick, and because she felt sick, she wanted to nurse to settle her stomach so it was a bad cycle. I finally learned to keep her on one side for four hours before switching to the other side. Before that we switched sides two or three times a feeding. This was good for getting up the milk supply and keeping from looking lop-sided, but she did not get the good creamy stuff in the back, which helps her feel satisfied and full, and I was overstimulating the breasts. Once we stuck to the four+ hour thing, no matter how many times she nursed, things got better.

    As for the poop, that is normal. My dd was pretty regular (although by no means graceful) but I had a friend who joked that she could not make any plans for Tuesdays because that's when her baby pooped. He pooped roughly once a week and boy was it a doozy. When you finally get that poop, it will probably be monstrous.

    I'm so sorry you don't have an LC around. But do have faith in yourself. There really is no perfect path for everyone so don't feel bad if ANYTHING goes differently than the books say they should. Stay flexible, creative and patient. He has a lot of growing to do. I'm sure the nipple shield will be history eventually.

    Does he have a tiny mouth? Have you tried squeezing your breast to change it's shape a little? Does he just get overwhelmed by all the skin contact? A maturing nervous system will help with that. Just let him grow up a little. Even oald is less of an issue in older babies because they learn to unlatch, let you spray in front of the in-laws, and then just latch back on when letdown is done.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: I cant do this anymore...

    [QUOTE=LLL_Jolie;224384]
    Did your doctor tell you anything to look for (call doctor if you see "x")?[\QUOTE]

    No nothing, just said he will poop when he is ready.


    [QUOTE=LLL_Jolie;224384]Could you tell us a bit more about that? What symptoms sounded familiar to you? [\QUOTE]

    1. Gag, choke, strangle, gulp, gasp, cough while nursing (YES TO ALL OF THESE)
    2. Pull off the breast often while nursing (ALL THE TIME. IT REALLY SUCKS CAUSE HE PULS THE SHIELD OFF TOO)
    3. Clamp down on the nipple at let-down to slow the flow of milk (BITING! AWWW I HATE THAT!)
    4. Make a clicking sound when nursing (LIKE HE IS BREAKING THE SUCTION)
    5. Spit up very often and/or tend to be very gassy ( HE SPITS UP SO MUCH, I DONT SEE HOW HE IS GAINING ANY WEIGHT AND THE BOY HAS THE WORST GAS)
    6. Periodically refuse to nurse (ALL THE TIME)
    7. Dislike comfort nursing in general (I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS ONE


    Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    When you say fight with the shield, what do you mean by that? What happens with your baby and the shield?
    Fight to keep it on. He bites down and pulls it off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •