Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need help getting baby back on the breast

Default need help getting baby back on the breast

I have a complicated story; my baby has never really nursed well. We've been working with Oral Motor therapists on his muscles, and he's getting better. I've been pumping since he was born on April 18. My supply has never been great; I take domperidone, and I have breast implants. The most I've pumped is between 10 and 15 ounces in a 24 hour period, when I was pumping 10-12 times a day.

Recently I decided to throw in the towel, since the baby still would not latch and suck. We finger fed him for five weeks before he ever saw a bottle (he's about 10 weeks now), but still he has nursed less and less as time goes on. So I decreased pumping to once in the morning and once at night and I put him to the breast a few times during the day.

It seems though that he's getting better all the sudden. Meaning, sometimes he'll suck very well for a few sucks and even swallow some, before he starts yanking on my breast and fussing (getting frustrated with the speed or poor supply I guess?).

I started taking the Dom again and I guess I'll start pumping more to try to build up supply, but I'd like some feedback on how I might get him interested in the breast more?

He's just not very patient when he's on the breast, and I usually give up and give him to dh for a bottle after a few moments because he freaks out if he's very hungry and I try to nurse him.

Is it too late? I really want him to nurse at least some.

Default Re: need help getting baby back on the breast

What an amazing Mother you are to do so much for your baby. You are very strong!!

There are two forums that I think might be very helpful for you and have some good info:

Increasing Your Milk

Relactation and Induced Lactation

I hope you can find the answers you need.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I know it may be hard in the beginning but if you only offer the breast he'll probably be more interested in taking it! your doing a great job keep up the great effort!

Hi Molly! That's wonderful news.

Would you like some information about supplementing at the breast?

Jolie, yes. that would be great. I have tried the Medela SNS and and Lact-Aid. The medela just never worked the way it's supposed to- it would only work if I was holding it above my head. I used one with my last daughter and a different one this time. I used the starter and the other version.

With the Lact-Aid, the problems we had were about the baby refusing to stay latched on. The thing worked it seemed, but veeery slowly (this was a few weeks ago so its probable that it worked so slowly because his suck was so weak), and the biggest problem I had with it was that every time baby pops off, the tube has to be readjusted into his mouth, even though it was taped on. Like, I have to squeeze my nipple to get it into his mouth right, and the tube would then straighten out and not go into his mouth the correct way, or at all.

If I could get help making the lact-aid work for us I'd be very happy; we spent a bunch of money on the thing and used it only a handful of times.

One LC told me to use nipple shields with the LAct-Aid, because then the tube stays put. But right now, he won't latch and nurse whether I'm wearing nipple shields or not, so I need to solve the latching on thing too.

many facets to our issues.

This morning though, I got up for the early shift with him and he did nurse for about 15 minutes. I didn't have milk, but he did give it a try.

ETA: he just woke from a nap and I tried the Lact-Aid. He screamed and fought me at the breast until I handed him off to dh who is now feeding him a bottle while I pump.
    Last edited by mollysummer; July 3rd, 2007 at 08:01 AM.

Your story sounds a lot like mine (with the exception of poor milk supply). My DD did not nurse until just recently. We tried everything including the sns and nipple shields also. She has a poor suck, wouldn't stay latched and became easily frusterated with breastfeeding also.

Some things that I think really helped us was I pulled back on the pressure to get her to nurse (it sounds like you are doing a great job at not pressuring him). If she would start becoming frusterated during an attempt and pulling away I would take her off and give her the bottle and pump. Sometimes it is hard to tell if she is frusterated with the breastfeeding or if she is frusterated because she wants to breastfeed. The other thing that I did which was recommended to me by this forum was to wear her. I was given the website: www.wearyourbaby.com which had instructions on how to make a wrap. I made a wrap (very easy) and wore her around with me all day, we were able to do a ton of skin to skin this way and she loves being in the wrap. I also started taking a bath with her every night. During these times if she started rooting around looking for the breast I would encourage her, but not let her get to the point of frusteration, and eventually she started latching on. I gave up on the nipple shield and sns and just started attempting and for whatever reason it clicked. Good luck. I hope my experience can help you out!

I do have a wrap and a sling, so maybe I'll try wearing him more and the bath thing and see what happens. It doesn't look like the SNS is going to work for us.