Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not feeling let down

Smile Not feeling let down

Hello all,

Just wondering if everyone feels their letdown every time they feed. I tend to feel it more on one side than the other, but still don't feel it on the left. I have tried to even focus to see if I feel it. I'm pretty sure my son is getting enough milk and the hindmilk as he is gaining weight like crazy and pees and poops a lot. Thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone else is in the same boat.

Thanks,
    Leslie

Default Re: Not feeling let down

I didn't used to but I can tell now. If you take your shirt off, and watch the area around your ariola, when you have a let down it may actually tense up so that it feels harder during a let down. hth

I have been wondering about this because everyone talks about feeling it, but I don't think I have ever felt it. I know it happens because occasionally when my son pulls off I will spray him all over the face, so there is definite milk.

I felt it a lot the first two months but now I don't feel it at all. I was told by my LC that not everyone feels it. Most of the time though I can tell that my milk has letdown by the way my son is sucking and swallowing. But I don't feel it letdown. Get that?! So I wouldn't worry at all. As long as he's staying at the breast and gaining weight and all that.

i was also told that not everyone feels it. I definitely feel it at times, but i know there are times that my son is nursing and I can tell a let down occured from his sucking, but never felt it.

Thanks for all your answers. I will keep trying to see if I feel it, but I guess its nothing to worry about. I know that he's eating and getting what he needs or he would be telling me otherwise. Thanks again.

I did not feel a let down until 5 months and only do from time to time still (9 months now).
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I don't feel it, but I know it happens cause I can hear and see my son gulping.

It took 2 weeks of breastfeeding for me to feel it, although it had been happening since the beginning. It was such a strong sensation that it was almost painful. I still feel it now, but it is either not as strong, or I have grown accustomed to the feeling.

Some women may experience a feeling of sleepiness or fatigue during a letdown. Also a sudden desire to have a drink/thirst. ( No I do not mean a beer)