Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding patterns...

Default Feeding patterns...

Hi.. another question..

Is it normal for a newborn to nurse as frequently as every hour during the day? My daughter (5 days old) will feed very frequently during the day.. for 15-20 mins each time.. and then at night she will go for longer stretches..

It is so different than my son who fed longer lenght of time and would go 2 to 2.5hrs in between nursings.. all day and all night..

With my daughter what I find is that at night I get engorged and I have to wake her up every 2hrs or so..

Thanks in advance for the answers!!

Default Re: Feeding patterns...

i felt like i never put him down then! he still feeds often at 6 weeks. everyone on here just kept saying feed on demand. that's what we're doing and it's gotten easier.

I am going to keep trying to wake her up.. having a hard time at nights and in the afternoons.. She seems to just want to sleep, I am able to get her to latch on for shorter periods of time when she is like that.

I think the temperature in the room has to do with it.. It is very hot where we live and we have the AC on at nights, last night I took her out of the AC and into a warmer room and she woke up and latched on better..

At the beginning newborns nurse very often as their tummys are tiny. As they grow, they become efficient suckers and can go 3-4 hours between feedings.

I recently read a book "Baby Whisperer", and I recommend reading this book. It tells you how to distinguish the different cries - hungry vs overtired etc. If your baby is 6 weeks old, depending on their size, they shouldn't really need to eat every hour -- could be an overtired cry...

Is it normal for a newborn to nurse as frequently as every hour during the day? My daughter (5 days old) will feed very frequently during the day.. for 15-20 mins each time.. and then at night she will go for longer stretches..
    That sounds perfectly normal for a brand new baby. She might be sleeping through the night earlier than other babies, by the sound of it. Even in first 2 weeks, I wouldn't wake her at night at all, unless she's going over 6 hours or is losing weight. Congrats on your little girl!

Here we are again.. took me forever to get her to wake up at 9:30p and she only did 10 mins in one breast.. didn't take the other no matter what we tried. She just seems so full but my breast are definitely not catching up to this. They get very engorged at night.

As far as her weight she is back to what she weighted on her b'day. Having wet and dirty diapers...

I wonder if it is that I have too much milk right now? I don't recall it taking this long for the engorgement to go away with my son. Everything is so different that I feel like a fisrt time mom again. I just dont want anything to go wrong as far as her gaining weight, etc or getting a mastitis or something.

Almost the same thing happened with my daughter. The first weeks, she would nurse almost every hour during the day and was really fussy but she was also doing some, 4-5 and even 6 hours stretches during nights. We eventually related that to growth spurt and also linked that to the fact that it was really hot during those days in Montreal. During the night, as we were co-sleeping in our room with AC, she was way more relaxed.

As for the engorgement during the night, I suggest you might wanna pump a little bit and not wake her up. I am sure she will wake you up by herself when she'll be hungry and those longer streches in the night will allow her to get the sleep she needs. Eventually, you breast will adjust to that routine. Mine were leaking the first nights and now it's ok, as long as my LO doesn't sleep more than 6 hours during the night.
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

how are things going today?

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Gustavo View Post
    .. took me forever to get her to wake up at 9:30p and she only did 10 mins in one breast.. other no matter what we tried.
    My little one only will eat on one side each feeding. I rearely get him to eat on both and it's only when he wants that he eats on both. He has developed his own feeding times and will eat for about 10 minutes every hour and a half or so. Sometimes will eat more. I feel that when he is hungry, he will let me know and he will eat. I am also doing the on demand feeding and it seems to be working. I would love for him to sleep a little more at night, though. Lucky you .

We are doing better today.. She has fed every 2 hr or so during the day, but again for 10 or so mins.. but she seems satisfied, with a full belly and her output is good. We'll see how she does tonight.

I think it is just a matter of getting adjusted to her and that she feeds differently than her big brother did at that age. I was freaking out thinking something was wrong. For my sanity I am still going to see how she does at night and will wake her if it she doesn't wake up after 3 or so hours.. At least for the next few days..