Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weight issues

Unhappy weight issues

my son christian is 6.5 months old, and he was born in and has always been in the 5-10 percentile for his weight. he dropped weight fast at first, PED was a bit concerned but we established our BFing and he gained like crazy! but he is still on the very low end and at his 6 month visit he actually had dropped his percentage to the >5%.

he is eating around 1.5-2 stage 2 food jars, one mixed with baby cereal for breakfast and then 2 stage-2 jars for dinner (no cereal). he BFs before each meal and after each meal to top off.

i totally believe that every child is different and some gain when others don't, but im wondering if my milk is low in calories for him or something....?? anyone ever deal with or know about this? i will not stop BFing, but yet i feel a little guilty that my BM isn't helping him to gain enough.
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008

Default Re: weight issues

Hugs to you mama.

First of all, it sounds like your son has always been on the lower end of the bell curve. Are you and your DH small people? Genetics play into this too, so if you're slender perhaps your DS takes after you.

And you're right - all kids grow at different rates. Is he bright and alert? Meeting milestones? Wetting and dirtying plenty of diapers? If so I wouldn't worry, he's probably just petite!

Re: your milk being low in calories... not likely. Human milk is around 22 cal/oz, which is more than cow's milk. Foremilk - the milk at the start of the feeding - has fewer calories and a higher water content. It's like skim milk. Toward the end of the feeding hindmilk is released, and this is more like the cream or "dessert" An imbalance occurs when the baby gets too much skim. You would probably know if your son had a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, as he would be gassy and fussy, and possibly have green stools. If you suspect this, you can cycle on the same breast - do two feedings in a row on the right, then two feedings on the left, and so on. This will help DS get the richer stuff.

There's more on that here:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fo...-hindmilk.html

And here's some general info on weight gain in breastfed babies. Remember that the charts at the doctor's office are based on formula fed babies - a different kettle of fish!

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/index.html

Hope this helps! Breastfeeding is the best thing for your DS so you are right to keep going!

awww thank you! im going to look into the inbalance...that sounds like him. we'll see when i check out the sites. im surprised my PED didn't say something about it being a possibility (she is PRO BFing!)
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to

That sounds like an awful lot of solids for a 6 mo. Would he nurse more if you offered less solids? Just a thought because breastmilk has more calories than any other food.

I would suggest trying to replace some of those solids with nursings too. As some of the PP's have noted, breastmilk is very calorie-dense food, and it's hard to find baby food that is so calorie rich!

You are also concerned because his weight percentile dropped (I'm assuming he still gained a bit though?). This can happen sometimes because baby is becoming more mobile around this age and burning off more calories. Sometimes they get busy doing things and don't ask to nurse as often, too.

And as someone else said, genetics likely play a role too. If you and/or his father are on the smaller side, then he may just be small because he's built that way!

Hope that helps!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

great thoughts girls...thank you. she is VERY mobile and i definitely will decrease the food to go back to more milk. i also went to the DR today about a possible thyroid problem...but i will post a new post about that
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to

I seem to have alot of similarities with you! My first son, Jake, was always on the low end of the pertentiles too and seemed to gain weight slowly. I didn't like to call him skinny, but maybe svelt. He has always been very thin and muscular and was crawling and walking very early on and because of that he dropped weight for a while. But it picked back up as he started nursing more and started solids (didn't start until 9 months). Now he's a healthy 30 pound 3 year old. Now my baby is already 23 pounds and not even a year old! I'm taking bets on when he catches up with his big brother! I agree with some of the pp about feeding more BM and less solids and see if that helps with some weight gain, but sometimes that's just the way they were made.