Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: refuses solids

Question refuses solids

My baby girl who will be 6 months May 12, refuses to eat solids. She won't eat rice ceral with water, or juice added or even some kind of fruit added. If I put any in her mouth the next time she sees the spoon coming she shuts her mouth and clamps her top lip over the bottom. If I can trick her into opening her mouth and shove a bite in, she frowns at me and growls. Any suggestions on how to get her to eat solids.

Thanks and totally confused ,
    Debra

Default Re: refuses solids

She may not be ready for solids yet. Some babies do show signs of being ready, then when Mom tries to feed solids, things don't look so good to baby. (I think they do it just to keep us guessing! )

Landon was nowhere near ready for solids at 6 months (even though EVERYONE including DH was pressuring me to start). At 8 months, I tried a bit of avocado. That went over as well as square wheels. I tried 2 or 3 times then just decided he wasn't as ready as he thought he was. I think I tried again about 2 weeks later. Same reaction. I think I tried every week or two after that. When it was met with resistance, I gave up after only a bite or two. I trusted that he would let me know when he really did want solids. He let me know when he was 10 1/2 months old. I made him some oatmeal (regular, not the baby cereal kind) and he sucked it down like it was going out of style. Even still, it was a slow process of him learning how to eat from a spoon and to try different foods.

Now he is 16 1/2 months and pretty much chows down on anything he can get his hands on.

Some babies are ready at 6 months, some aren't. Just be patient and willing to put it off for another week and try it again. You'll be a lot less confused and frustrated if you follow your DD and let her tell you when she is ready. And just keep in mind that they like to keep you confused! It's in the baby job description. (Mine seriously excel at that part of their jobs.)

Pam

I am going through the same exact thing and Pam your response was so helpful and reassuring for me to read.

My DS is 7 months old. I have tried avocado, banana and sweet potatoe, starting at 6 months. I wait a week or so and try again when he doesn't want anything. Now that he has had a couple spoonfuls, he gets mad if he sees the spoon coming. If I do sneak a little in his mouth he makes a terrible face and just spits it out. Previously, I thought he was showing all the signs of being ready, but he has no interest in actually tasting or eating anything right now. I think I am going to continue to hold off a little while. There is no need to rush things, right? I am sure he will let me know when he is ready and like Pam's DD will start to gobble down food when he is ready - in his own time.

LOts of kids don't like to eat untill they can feed themself..
    it saves you time too because there isn't a big mess to clean up at each meal. Just wait a few weeks and try again.

At 7 and a half months my dd is not crazy about solids either. I offered her some banana about a month ago, and she didn't seem to know what to do with it. After that I started to give her purred fruits or ceral to play with every morning. I also put a little bit of food on her spoon and let her play with that. This way she got used to the taste and smell of foods without them actually going down. At first she was just using the spoon as a teether, but recently she seems to actually lick the spoon and "ask" for more! She definately prefers apples over other foods we tried so far, so try different foods each time you offer solids.

my dd took several weeks to learn to eat solids (we started at 6 months). she would push the food out of her mouth with her tongue!now she loves her solids, anything pureed--even peas and grn beans-but won't touch chunkier foods like bits of avocado, banana etc. and finger foods, forget it. but i just keep trying. just like with the purees, she will eat the finger foods when she is ready.

Debra-you are not alone! I was reading the forum to see if anyone was having the same problem & found your post. My daughter will be 7 months old on May 3 and is doing exactly what you described. Her mouth is clamped shut so tightly, I can't even push the spoon in. I really wish I had the answer for both of us, but all I can do is let you know I feel your frustration. I am hoping she'll come around soon-learning to try solids is so much fun for both mom & baby. One thing I am concerned about is iron deficiency. Does anyone know if that is something I should be concerned about since she isn't taking solids yet?

We have gone through this and still do even at almost 1!! DS has always preferred to nurse then to be fed or to feed himself. Please be patient with all these babies as some of them like mine, just want mommies milk. They have there whole life's to eat.

Oh I've been here... thought my DS would never be interested. But the day he turned 8 months, it was like overnite he decided that eating was fun! Over the last 6 weeks he is now eating 2 decent sized meals a day (maybe 2-5 ounces of food per day). He actually will eat a cheerio too this week and mush it up in his mouth! He still has no teeth yet, but I think once he can feed himself he will be much happier..

Hang in there. They will eat when they're ready!

My breastfed dd sampled some solids around 8 months, then quit then all together around 10 months, only to start up again around 15 months. I worried needlessly. Breastmilk is the best nutrition.

Another thing... my dd knows best what she wants. Turns out she has some allergies to foods. I'd advise keeping children's Benadryl on hand in case you find your child has a reaction. It happened fast with my dd. Thank goodness my doctor was oncall and I had Benadryl.