Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New question

Default New question

I am for some reason drying out already and my son is not even 2 weeks old. He is eating every 2-3 hours and now he is getting frustrated with me. He has a great latch on the left side and the supply on that side seems fine. But now I fear his latch on the right side isn't quite right. He slips off and gets aggressive going back on -- and now it hurts to nurse on that side. I was trying to pump today ( I have an Advent Manual pump which is the only pump I have ever managed to get milk with -- bad luck with the hospital pumps even). And I can't even get an ounce.

I go to the doctor on Thursday and had thought to see if maybe it is because of a lack of female hormones (I had an ovary removed (it ruptured) 13 years ago and lost another 1/3 in another pregnancy.) I am 35 now and with my previous 2 kids I took the bc pill you can take while nursing and had no supply problem. Trying to pump in between feedings to keep more stimulus going and I have upped the amount of liquids I am drinking.

Didn't know if anyone else has had a diminished supply or dried up so quickly. He is content most of the time after nursing, but I had to supplement the right side today with formula and the pumped breast milk.

Default Re: New question

Hi there

From what I can gather, you think your milk supply might be drying up because (1) your baby seems to need to eat more, and (2) your aren't able to pump much. Is that correct?

Your baby is at an age where growth spurts are common and frequent. This will definitely cause him to want to eat more frequently. Here is a link you might find helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/spurt.html

The pump is a very poor indicator of what you are actually making. Your baby will always be able to draw the milk out of the breast better than a pump will, and if he is going through a growth spurt, you might be pumping less simply because he's using more of what you're making.

It does sound like there's a latching issue on the right side. That, coupled with the fact that he wants to eat more after nursing on that side, could cause a dip in supply. I strongly suggest you see someone in person, such as an LLL Leader or IBCLC (see the link in my signature to find your local LLL Leader). They can help you get your baby latched correctly on that side, and that should keep the supply up on that side and relieve the pain you're having there.

Since you've previously nursed two babies with the ovary tissue that you have now, that's probably not the issue. However it couldn't hurt to ask your doctor.

How is your baby doing weight-wise now? Any new info there?

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

He is up to 8 lbs 4 oz so 6 oz in 7 days. Doc is happier and we go back in 2 weeks for another weight check.

EXCELLENT!!! That's a great weight gain! Hopefully it will continue!

How's nursing going for you now? Are you still supplementing?

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I am supplementing about 8 ounces a day still. Down from 14 ounces a day. I have a small cut that is finally healing so latching on is much better. I am hoping to cut the supplementing down in the next couple of weeks. If not, I'm okay with a little supplementing because I can have the kids help with it and feel like they are involved too. Ideally I'd like to just BF but I have 3 weeks until school starts again and I will be starting daycare again and even though my sis and I work together, I may not have 40 minutes at a time to devote to BF so I may need to supplement or pump anyway.

Thanks for the moral support and help. This is a wonderful service and so helpful to the frazzled mommy who is sleep deprived and wanting what is best for number 5.

I also had a dear friend come down today and she was a BF champ and was so encouraging and helpful. Just knowing you are not alone makes a huge difference.

My daughter latches better on the left side too! She has a hard time on the right side... I went to a consultant, she said that one of the things I needed to do was fix the position she was in when she was on the right side... in the cradle position, I didn't have her body facing mine. At least not enough. That helped alot with my supply, and it's only been 3 days... it could be something simple like that. Talk to a consultant! you never know what they might suggest.

Last feeding when he lost interest in the football hold, I shifted him to the cradle and got a full 20 min out of the rt side for the first time in over a week. He nursed about 50 min total but still wanted 2 oz. I'm sure I am still a touch behind him because of the supplementing but think I will be able to catch up if he will continue to nurse more than 8 min on the right side.

yeah I'm glad things are going a little bit beter for you!