Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What else to do, latching and low supply?

Default What else to do, latching and low supply?

My baby will be three weeks old on Wednesday. From the get go she has had a hard time latching due to a very short toungue and one of my nipples being flat. In the hospital she got expressed colostrom, and then they moved us directly to the nipple shield. We came home with the shields and the syringes to give her supplement as my milk had not fully come in (C-section on a Wednesday, discharge on a Saturday.) The following week we saw the lactation consultant who had us finger feed her for a week and me pumping every 2-3 hours for a total of eight times in 24 hours. This was yielding about 100 mL per day. Upon staring Fenugreek and seeing the LC the following week my supply had gone up to about 230 mL per day, still not enough for an eight pound baby. At our last LC appointment she had us get preemie nipples to help our daughter with her sucking and stretching out her tongue as well as wanted me to have more skin to skin time. Since them we try the breast at every feeding but she screams when I put her there I think because she is so hungery (pretty much waking or eating every three hours like clockwork). Last night we did have success in that she stayed at the breast for about 10 minutes and was sucking, more let-down though, very fast. I did not do anything to change her as just getting her there was a major accomplishment. At this point, even if I can get her there, I don't know if I'll ever produce enough...I'm not sure how much longer I can do this for, any suggestions?

Default Re: What else to do, latching and low supply?

Im in the same boat! My son is 2 weeks old today and i am right where you are! He was an IUGR baby and the hospital gave him high calorie formula via bottle so he would gain weight - he started off having latching and sucking difficulties so its been pumping and mixing the little milk i get in with the formula...i can only get about 10-15 cc's at a time. And right now it almost seems pointless! I bought some breastshields in hopes it would help him latch and breastfeed normally - but it was so painful I just dont think i can go through that everytime! So I uderstand how you feel and I hope we can both get some help!

You are already on track to help your supply by getting baby to the breast as much as possible. Baby sucking is THE BEST way to increase supply. Supplements can help but nothing will help as much as baby nursing. Have you hear of an SNS? Ask your LC for info or search for that here.

I just want to say that you can do this! Those early weeks are SOOOOO challenging for many women. but if you can make it through it gets so much easier. Have you tried finding a local LLL group or calling up an LLL leader near you? That could help you even more than we can!

Oh- and looking at how much you pump is not necessarily a good indicator of how much milk the baby is getting if she's also nursing. is she having enough wet and dirty diapers? Are you still using the shield. I personally believe those can be a great tool if it works for you. I used one for the first four weeks and worried I've never get him off it, but then it was easy. Good lucK!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I am having the same problem. I had to skip 3 feedings on the right due to soreness, but am going to try again tonight. I am desperate to get my supply back up.